Thread: Locksmith question

Locksmith question

My family and I just bought a new house and considering it was a rental property prior and we’ve already had police show up looking for (we assume) the former tenant, we want to change the locks.

I’m wondering what’s the most cost-effective way considering we have 5(!) locks we need to change and then get rekeyed to all be one key.

Should we buy locks from Home Depot and then get a locksmith to rekey or just do it all through a locksmith? Or is there another way?

Quote Originally Posted by 87_Corolla View Post
    My family and I just bought a new house and considering it was a rental property prior and we’ve already had police show up looking for (we assume) the former tenant, we want to change the locks.

I’m wondering what’s the most cost-effective way considering we have 5 locksmith(!) locks we need to change and then get rekeyed to all be one key.

Should we buy locks from Home Depot and then get a locksmith to rekey or just do it all through a locksmith? Or is there another way?
    thanks for anyhelp

Quote Originally Posted by 87_Corolla View Post

I’m wondering what’s the most cost-effective way considering we have 5(!) locks we need to change and then get rekeyed to all be one key.

Congratulations on your new home! Changing the locks is definitely a good idea for security and peace of mind. There are a few options for changing the locks on your new home: Buy locks from a hardware store and rekey them yourself using a rekeying kit. This is the most cost-effective option, but it does require some DIY skills and may not be the best option if you want the locks to be completely secure. Buy locks from a hardware store and then hire a locksmith to rekey them. This is a good option if you want the locks to be professionally rekeyed, but it will likely cost more than doing it yourself. Hire a locksmith to provide and install new locks. This is the most expensive option, but it may be the best if you want the highest level of security and convenience. Ultimately, the best option depends on your budget and your personal preferences. If you are comfortable with DIY projects and want to save money, then buying locks from a hardware store and rekeying them yourself is a good option. If you want the best security and don't mind paying for it, then hiring a locksmith to provide and install new locks is a good option.