Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Punto Enthusiast

Smile Hello

My name is Theo and I own a Punto MK2 HGT on a X plate with a little over 92000 miles on the clock. I got the car roughly 4 weeks ago to practise my driving in (yes I'm a learner driver). I've always like the look of the punto from the MK1 and I could not resist getting one after seeing the insurance quote being so cheap. If I knew how to upload pictures I would so if someone knows how to do that from my computer please let me know.

At the moment I'm looking for a good mechanic to give my car the once over as there are one or 3 issues I'm having with the car at the moment. These are: tappets are noisy at the start up, the airbag light stays on and the gear lever will not return to the middle position when in neutral. When I bought the car it just had it's MOT done. I believe the airbag light only came on after I moved the seat but I can't be 100% sure.

If I was to do any mods to the car it would be the I.C.E. The stereo was replaced by the last owner but I'm not liking it, the speakers are not the greatest and the sub is not playing. I don't know if it is because it never got wired up ot it don't work. Luckily I have been able to find a replacement if needed on ebay and I plan to make a trip to my local Halfords for a sound system upgrade soon. That's as long as my pockets don't get ripped out my trousers after the repair bills.

the noisey tappet noise will most likely be the variator, get the cambelt & variator replaced as well as a service and should sort that out.

pop the gear linkages off the box end and lift up the gear gaitor inside the car then lubricate everything well, once done should be sorted.

you will need to get the car on the diagnostics to check the air bag light

Punto Enthusiast
    Thanks for that.

Hello and welcome,

the none centering will most likely be the linkage on top of the gearbox, , look at where the cables attach to the gearbox and one you will see is a bracket with a rod running through a casting, that rod siezes in its casting.

take off the gear cable at the ball joint then remove the bracket , its held on with 3 bolts iirc, I have seen them so bad you can hardly move them by hand, so once off remove the rod and clean and grease it and then re assemble

Punto Enthusiast
    That's great news. I just got the logbook this morning and this saturday coming will make it 3 weeks since i bought the car and already I got to pay for repairs. I have been looking on ebay for the price of a timing belt and the variator. Prices range from £23.00 to over £180.00 while the variator is ranging from £90.00 to £120.00. I am wondering if it is possible to get the variator from a breakers to save some money or would that be a bad idea. Also could someone tell me which lubricant would be recommended for the gearbox.

Punto know it all
    No you absolutely cannot buy a variator or any of the timing kit second hand.

Labour will be a bigger cost unless you are experienced, which I would guess not?

Punto Enthusiast
    No, not with engines.

I take it the car hasnt had a cambelt change already then? no Receipts etc? if not then its probably worth the money for the piece of mind, because if the belt snaps then you will have problems!

and yes do not buy a second hand variator, its a lot of work to have done to find its still knocking

Punto Enthusiast
    There is a receipt for a cam belt change at 53000 miles. I was thinking of getting it done again soon just to be on the safe side and now I'm glad I saved some money to do that. Now I need to find a good mechanic.

yeah in mileage terms its worth having it done then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast