Thread: Progress last couple of days

Punto Enthusiast

Progress last couple of days

So I've realised my garden is just filled with two punto's staring at each other and it's just silly, so decided I would get cracking on my engine transplant.
    Stripped the 55s down the other evening, got some help off the cat, obviously.
    Started just before dark because I'm a bit of a fool like that. So i got to a stage where I can rip the 1.1 out and realised I don't have a crane so called it a night then

^that is every drop of coolant from the rad/engine. Turns out she was empty. More rust than water!
    Then in the morning popped round the corner and borrowed a crane from pikey mike

Wanted to remove the box too but didn't have a deep enough socket for the shaft/hub bolt so that'll be fixed asap.
    As I hit a wall with the physical swap started on the tedious part.

Getting the dash off wasn't as hard as I always assumed, wiring makes my brain hurt though so I was kinda kacking it at the prospect, going to be interesting putting the extra wiring back in from the gt..

Also fitted the gt1 doorcards and all the central locking/speakers/leccy windows and mirrors

But yeah, I'll whip the shafts out ASAP and make sure she's ready for gt wiring/plumbing and then start stripping the gt in the next couple days.. Haven't hit many snags so far, god knows what I need to remove/change for the shell to become a gt. Going to be replacing pipes/wires for days!

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Punto Enthusiast
    Any tips/photos would be appreciated
    Also, is it worth swapping to power steering? I liked the power steering when I drove the donor car, but I'm not sure I want the hassle of it!

Good work!

Punto know it all
    Power steering is easy to swap over.

Also, I'd have taken the engines through the bottom.

Punto Sports Club Member Damosan's Avatar
    Looks like taking the bonnet off would of helped! but good stuff none the less

Punto know it all
    How come you took the engine from the top and not though the bottom ...??

Punto Enthusiast
    Haha just cos I happened to have a crane I could borrow 8 doors down.. I will drop the gt engine when I get round to stripping the donor.. But I'm still faffing with the driveshaft nuts. Given up on them now and I'm going to whip the struts and hubs off with the box attached. Ball ache I tell ya!

Punto Enthusiast
    You can unbolt the driveshafts for the box. Then just swap struts hubs and shafts together.

Punto Enthusiast
    Ok, so, got a few more things done today
    Got the box and struts out, going to see how lazy I feel tomorrow and possibly get the gt engine out.
    Never faffed with a gt much before so I'll probably take my time and make sure I don't misplace anything etc, atleast I'll know my way around it pretty well by the time it's all together again!
    Wondering how I'm going to deal with the wiring first though, will have to bust it all out and try and lay it into the new shell as soon as I take it out while it's fresh in my braincell.
    Anyway..

Pretty lucky I can work on them in my garden so close together!

Also, had a look at the turbo, been advised it's from the oil breather in the inlet, shame about the blades but the play is minimal, I think I'll live.

Also got bored, cleaned up the front bars, rad suppose was still drying when it was light, plus it might aswell stay off till the new engine is in..

So yeah, getting there.