Thread: Cam Box Oil Levels - Is this Normal?

Punto know it all

Cam Box Oil Levels - Is this Normal?

Removed my rocker cover today to check on the valve clearances from cold and straight away I was surprised by the different oil levels in the 4 compartments of the cambox.

im sure the levels should all be the same (new cam, followers and carrier fitted yesterday and revved at 2000rpm for 20mins - no driving/no load put on yet) - i dont recall the camboxes draining at one end.
    The car is parked on the level. Before i ran the motor yesterday I topped up all 4 compartments to pretty much the same levels (almost touching the rocker gasket) as the box was completely empty following removal/refitting.

For valves 1 and 2 - loads of oil as youd expect, valves 3 and 4 a bit less, valves 5 and 6 even less and the area around valves 7 and 8 was virtually non-existent......you can see the fresh oil I had started to pour in today (I was going to do a leak down check) but the dark oil is on the bottom where it was when i removed the cover.

is this signs of a worn oil pump not getting oil to the top end - I am thinking that maybe this is what was wrecking my previous cam and the followers.

Or is this caused simply because Ive not driven the car and put the engine under load yet and once I do that the oil pump will do its thing? Oil pressure during the run in was 3 bar as it always is with this engine.....

The only thing that perhaps i'm thinking it might be is simply that the buckets are worn (they arent matched to this carrier box) i checked the clearances on all 8 and couldnt get a 0.05mm feeler gauge inside any of them. maybe they are allowing a leak down rather than a lack of oil feeding.....gonna run the car for a few mins then remove the cover again and see if all 4 compartments fill up - worth a try.

Last edited by clarkster; 16th March 2014 at 12:07.

Punto Enthusiast
    That might be the same for me, I have worn lobe on 7 and 8 on two camshafts.