Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Windscreen off Ebay Broken

Punto know it all

New Windscreen off Ebay Broken

OK i bought this brand new from a seller over in Ireland ex fiat dealers.

It arrived today and after unwrapping it some idiot somewhere along its journey has dropped it on one corner and of course now I have a pretty badly damaged screen. should get my money back - thats not a problem so im thinking a) the seller is bound not to send a replacement for fear of that being broken (cant blame him) and b) why did i not just trip down to a breakers yard in the first place and remove a good screen from a punto in there for peanuts?

So I think this is maybe my next move as I dont want to claim on the insurance to have a new one.

The only thing is how easy are windwscreens on these to remove? Ive got a local lad who will fit for so thats not a problem but i cant see him joining me down the yard to take one out as well.......

Punto know it all
    Why don't you want to use your insurance?

Punto know it all
    windscreen claims go against you at renewal. and i cant hardly go to the insurer and ask for a new windscreen just because i fancy a new one. mines OK just full of random scratches and its badly pitted. making visibility poor in direct sun or rainy conditions. they wouldnt go for it unless it was cracked or smashed...

Punto know it all
    I've claimed before, it never got mentioned at renewal.

A brick will sort your issue out

Oh dear, the cardboard maraca turned up then!

Pain in the butt dude, hardlines!

I think getting a windscreen out is pretty long, you've gotta cut thru all the super strong sealant and can take a while. Then there's the problem of picking up the glass, and transporting it safely.

I think a brick is the best way forward! May be worth calling the insurer to ask whether a new screen would affect your next renewal.

Really doubt NCB would be affected...

Punto know it all
    ha.ha.

that takes me back to my yoot' - i had a company car 309 diesel POS with a small crack in it long before the days when it was an MOT failure. i did the brick trick to get a new windscreen but not so much these days. knowing my luck the brick would richochet off the screen and knock me out at the scene of the crime! the brick would probably land straight back inmy hand too as a copper stands over me

the ebay seller has refunded me my money and doesnt need the screen to be sent back which is a relief as that would cost me £30-40. ive sent some pics to him and although i feel sorry for him they are at least a large business that can swallow £100 whereas if it was us we'd be choked to have top pay that back. he admitted to taking a risk with glass knowing he wasnt insured.......in this day and age though i still think its shocking parcelforce cannot handle an item marked half a dozen times in big letters "fragile - please handle with care" without breaking or dropping it. a waste of a perfect windscreen.......

i might ask my man the cost to supply and fit. the problem with most insurers is that if you stick with them they dont tend to penalise you at renewal but if you change insurers you are required to declare any "claims regardless of fault" and thats where you can get bent over in the long term hence i want to avoid doing it that way.......

anyway this is what i found today after unwrapping it

i need a new windscreen on my maserati, my insurance is £1000, i can claim for the screen for £75, which doesnt affect no claims bonus, but does still count as a claim, which puts it upto over £5000!!!

Hahahaha! Clarkster thats exactly how i feel when considering to do something a lil dodgey!

Beau, that's a joke! Did the insurers actually tell you that your premium would go up to that???

Most of the solicitors i know don't bother declaring non-fault accidents/claims when renewal time comes - they say its the principle of the whole thing - if its not your fault why should you get penalised. I fully agree with that!

So you could get them to replace it, and just switch insurer when it comes to renewal.... Obvs don't declare the windscreen replacement, and you would have your NCB in tact to apply to the new policy.

Flipping hate insurers. Even more so when we got people saying how they only pay £60 for insurance in mainland Europe

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    Never had a problem with insurance after having a new windscreen. the two that ive had.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    sorry though. me saying cardboard marraca i ddint want it to happen, but knew it was a probability.

You should have Opened it and checked it while the driver was their. Technically hes obliged to stay untill you sign for it.

With items like this your well within your rights to refuse the delivery and then they have to take it back to sender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast