Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics Stethoscope :)

Punto know it all

Mechanics Stethoscope :)

Bought this off ebay - very cheap just £3.99 delivered. Ideal fir tracing strange noises like worn bearings etc...

I wasnt expecting much but actually the quality is superb. The ear plugs are soft and comfortable and the sound coming up the tip is absolutely amazing! I nearly deafened myself when i first put it on as the tip was scraping on my kitchen worktop and it was amplified about x 5000 into my lug holes ! although not shown in the photo you also get a screw on extension of 8.5 inches to get into most nooks and crannies.

One superb bargain - now I just need to get under the car and find where that pesky engine noise is a coming from

The make is Silverline (they do make some shi*e tools) but this I recommend this for the money.

Only downside is that you have to hold the part that joins the two ear piece tubes together otherwise it all twists round and the ear plugs turn out of your ears. should still be able to use it though with your other hand guiding the tip to various parts of your engine.

Punto Lover
    nice.. you know who ever buys you're car is going to be very lucky as its guna to be like a new car once you have finished finding all these little faults..

Punto know it all
    I think its next stop after me would be the scrap yard!
    Took it for a quote last week on the inner rear arches and the guy had never seen a mk1 with floors like mine.he didnt believe me when i said the floors were mint and never been repaired.its a good un

Punto know it all
    My mate said that the neighbours will send round the men in white coats if they spot me working on the car wearing this stethoscope.he has a point

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    I think you need a white coat yourself to look the part!

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    I'm old Skool, just use a long screw driver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Punto know it all
    ha - i saw eric the car guy on You Tube using a screwdriver - it was the longest id ever seen! it was about 3/4 of metre

anyway, not a proper listen today as i need to remove the drivers wheel and the arch liner but i did have a listen from the top of the engine today and its quite interesting to hear the variety of noises on the different parts. the good thing is the ear plugs blank out background noise meaning its very effective. if anyone buys one of these just be careful moving the tip around the engine bay as i nearly deafened myself as it knocked around on the block such is the amplification. you could damage your hearing if not careful.

with a slight rev to say 1500rpm and then backing off the noise I dont want can be heard kicking in and thats without the steth (ha so almost a waste of money?). its not there at idle but only when you give it that little rev and before it dies down to 900rpm the noise goes. with the steth i couldnt put the tip onto the alternator or the aux tensioner to listen to see if those are the cause of roar/grumbling. the power steering pump and water pump are not making any terrible grinding or whining noises inside and certainly dont change pitch with the revs so my thoughts are the alternator bearings or the tensioner are knacked. i think some tensioners on the market are just crap - this is my 3rd tensioner since last summer as the before last made a terrible whining right from idle. and it was a boxed fiat new item but they are made all over the world ie; turkey, france and italy.....who knows what the quality is like.

i think the cambelt side of things is OK which is better as I didnt really want to start faffing with that side of things - the engines running nice and the tensioner doesnt seem to be whining on this so i didnt want to touch that lot.

if the sun comes back out later i might get the wheel off and check the alternator and tensioners as Ill have some help this afternoon.

Punto Enthusiast
    You'll get there in the end stu. Man on a mission or what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punto know it all
    OK. the sun was out today and I was able to finally get the spanners out.

I removed the drivers side front wheel and arch liner. the plan was to use the stethoscope on all the pulleys etc but as it turns out I didnt really need it. I placed it on the aux tensioner and it sounded OK but I spotted the washer was spinning round behind the bolt. removed the whole thing and found the bolt was barely done up hand tight - there was so much sideways free play on it it wasnt funny. all the grease had come out the back of the bearing. i had a DayCo tensioner (in the clarkster punto shop ) so immediately swapped them - feel a right idiot because this was down to me and not making sure it was tight when i fitted it last year. anyway this time i used some thread lock on all 3 bolts. the placebo effect means it sounds like an improvement BUT.......

as i was getting ready to refit the wheel i was checking the balljoints and the calipers/pads etc and by chance i grabbed the disc on both sides to try and wiggle it just making sure it was flush against the hub and the whole assembly moved literally back and forth.
    got a mate to rock the disc whilst i checked any freeplay in the balljoints and they were solid. you can see the whole of the outer CV joint rocking against the hub as you rock the disc. I believe then thats one fubbered wheel bearing???? It wasnt proper noisy, like no grinding as such, like you expect on a gashed up bearing, but I am hoping that this is finally the cause of the noise that ive spent nearly 2 years trying to trace and why its terrible above 60-65 on the motorway (lot of noise).

I cant believe that i wasnt getting any bad vibrations or wobble through my steering wheel at motorways speeds......very strange. i reckon the movement is about 3-4mm - its major freeplay and id say it was dangerous. glad i never caned the car with it like this.
    Gearbox still whines but thats OK as ive got another one to swap in a month or two (another story).
    cars is booked in for tomorrow to have it looked at and diagnosed for sure but what do you guys think? wheel bearing collapsed or problem with the outer CV?
    will be over the moon if i get a new bearing and the car is quiet again.

as the garage swapped gearboxes last month and pulled this hub out maybe they didnt tighten the nut back up to spec and its worn out the bearing prematurely? ill be asking them to check its torque tomorrow - should be 207lb/ft if not i will be asking them if they will carry out the replacement for me at little or no cost as its their mistake just i like did on the aux tensioner.
    Last edited by clarkster; 26th February 2014 at 18:45.

Punto Enthusiast
    Since you've serviced my car lol.

It's very likely it's been disturbed whilst they have removed the drive shaft. And most likely it's been air gun tight going back on.

My friend had a shed of a 106 and he was driving around on a bearing that had collapsed and he didn't hear anything... Strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast