Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 303 bhp punto gt

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    i dont think brad really knew anything, brad drove the car to me, must of been a 50 miles plus journey, hence if im being told its good, and its just completed a 50 miles journey ok, i saw no reason to drive it any more, and i took that on as it would be ok.

once brad left, i opened the bonnet to check the coolant level/oil level before i drove the car, the coolant header tank was empty, i filled it up, all was well, for half a mile anyway til the hose blew
    Exactly. Why would he drive a car 50 miles that he thought would blow up. It really doesn't make sense for him to do that.

Unfortunately you'll just have to chalk this up to bad luck. Brad feels bad, as anyone would, but that doesn't mean it's his fault.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Quote Originally Posted by Puntoboy View Post
    Exactly. Why would he drive a car 50 miles that he thought would blow up. It really doesn't make sense for him to do that.

Unfortunately you'll just have to chalk this up to bad luck. Brad feels bad, as anyone would, but that doesn't mean it's his fault.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro
    Im sure you'd accept your own advice if this was you
    Twitter: @ImJamesHans

Punto know it all
    Been reading this as its progressed. This was a car I was interested in when it went up for sale.....also one I would never have bought. Nothing personal just didn't feel I could trust the true history of the car as things have seemed shady from time to time.

I'm shocked that Beau has had this happen to him but not as shocked I am about not testing the car. A simple thing like opening the bonnet when brad arrived and seeing the empty coolant tank would have rang alarm bells.

When I bought my coupe (first highly tuned car I have bought) first thing I did was open the bonnet and checked all vitals (levels leaks etc) I then let the owner take me for a drive, firstly so I can see how they drive it and look after it, also so they can show me what the car can do and for me to check for any odd happenings. This test drive was around 30 minutes including both town, cruising open roads and pedal to the metal. Once this was over I checked under the hood for all vitals again etc. I was with the seller for well over an hour before I parted with my cash. To just hand over in excess ok 2k is madness!

Not to be making accusations but do you know brad drove the car all the way to you? Could it have been towed most of the way...just shocking how it can be "ready to race" yet dead in 3 miles!

Hope you recover most of your money Beau and leave this mess behind!

i dont think brad really knew anything, brad drove the car to me, must of been a 50 miles plus journey, hence if im being told its good, and its just completed a 50 miles journey ok, i saw no reason to drive it any more, and i took that on as it would be ok.

once brad left, i opened the bonnet to check the coolant level/oil level before i drove the car, the coolant header tank was empty, i filled it up, all was well, for half a mile anyway til the hose blew
    Empty header tank? Guzzling water like fooking Shamu then...!

it probably would of been ok though lol, until i added the extra coolant causing the extra pressure in the system... ? maybe anyway?

when he dropped it off he had it idling for like 5 mins+
    No it was fubar'd already, that water had already gone through the cylinder leaving the tank empty, I bet the fan was going like Sellafield too whilst it was idling. You putting the water in probably helped the hose go which has just saved you driving it around wondering why its drinking by the gallon and misfiring. I'd be surprised if it drove properly as he got to yours or he hadn't filled it with water on that journey. You've been done and you should've been looking at ways of recovering the money straight away, you have rights as a buyer regardless of the sale format but you're passed that now of course.

Punto know it all
    We have a good buying guide on here to help try and avoid these kinds of woes but I would add another tip after this episode of Beau's - I prefer to go to a car, rather it coming to me so that I can see it start from cold and observe oil and water levels at cold, ease of a cold start, how it idles and a hot start too. After a test drive (being a passenger is fine as you can concentrate more on any knocks, rattles, whines, look at the gauges as the car is driven at various speeds, look for smoke behind the car without worrying about road users in front etc) look at those levels again although I have to admit I have often forgotten to re-check the oil level after being out in a car but I do do the quick visual check of the coolant level as its on show as soon as you open the bonnet.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    We have a good buying guide on here to help try and avoid these kinds of woes but I would add another tip after this episode of Beau's - I prefer to go to a car, rather it coming to me so that I can see it start from cold and observe oil and water levels at cold, ease of a cold start, how it idles and a hot start too. After a test drive (being a passenger is fine as you can concentrate more on any knocks, rattles, whines, look at the gauges as the car is driven at various speeds, look for smoke behind the car without worrying about road users in front etc) look at those levels again although I have to admit I have often forgotten to re-check the oil level after being out in a car but I do do the quick visual check of the coolant level as its on show as soon as you open the bonnet.
    Well put..

My observation.

Car was advertised on here as working. It was delivered broken. So surely Beau has every legal right to his money back?
    Twitter: @ImJamesHans

Punto know it all
    i dont know where he stands exactly - its tricky as it was likely to be no more than a gentlemans handshake almost bar room deal. car was kind of accepted as OK on delivery.

the faff of getting a solicitors letter may be more trouble than its worth in this particular case. always a danger if you are remotely pally with/know the seller/buyer.

I dare say Beau starting breaking the car now anyway so an inspection might not be possible ........

Reading all this reminds me of how lucky I was to buy a GT from many miles away and drive it all the way to Malta with no problems! That's 2,600miles ! Shame about the car beau, I would have personally fix it but everyone's different.

my ass is beginning to shake.

i bought a punto, as non driver, and i have still not got it running haha.

I know i took a chance, and i have start buying more for the punto even before it start being put back together.

if the **** dont work, i´ll ask beau about starting a broken punto club

About the legal issues, i really dont think Beau can do anything, about a deal that went down as this, so it is pointless to talk about if i do this and so on.
    Its my understanding this is just bad luck, and there is nothing anyone can say or do, to undo this, and of now, the car is getting sell off in pieces.
    Maybe when all of this "hype" is going down again, seller will or may not come with a explanation, or even give some of the money back,(would be the right thing to do) but until then i think its bad and too easy just point fingers at the seller for being a ass. I think he should get the benefit of a dubt on hes behaf, until anything can be proof.
    hope this make sence, i am not to good to english. "I have leard it fram a books"
    Last edited by Omfufu; 9th January 2014 at 18:33.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast