Thread: Transport while the Punto is off the road.

Punto Enthusiast

Transport while the Punto is off the road.

So I had to get my punto off the road while I did the conversion as there's limited space and time to do it, so i need to take my time unfortunately, but, in the mean time I thought I'd get myself something to get me through the winter, reliable, comfortable and sensible.
    So naturally ignoring all of those I got the polar opposite and bought a '96 Citroen AX, although this one has a bit of work done, as a Saxo VTS engine under the bonnet and supporting bolt-ons to make it a pretty fun little thing!
    Unfortunately I can't tax the bigger til I get my new log book which is going to take weeks according to DVLA.
    Anyway I've got some photos of the exterior, it looks very sad at the moment, but it's good fun, and I'll be tidying it up a fair bit while I work on the punto.
    Shame about the paint really as I would have liked the original colour, but hey, it was a bargain!

Anyway, bit of saxo hate please as I never thought I'd see the day I owned one of these! Desperate times eh!

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Daaaaaam!!! Been a long ass time since i saw one of these! Dunno if its the angles but it looks bigger than i remember them...

Thats ****ing quality tho dude, it'll be rapid with a VTS heart... didnt the AX GTs only have 100hp??

Get some good winter/rain tyres, and get that chalkboard paint dashed all over it hahahahah

Punto Enthusiast
    Yeah it's pretty nippy, about 600-650kg and 120 ponies when it left French land.
    It's quite tiny! Parked next to the punto it looks like a clown car!
    Definitely new wheels and tyres needed, wheelspin in 2nd when it's wet, which means I can barely take a corner without losing either the front or rear! Scary!
    Got some black on the interior as it was pretty messy back there half red half scratched, this is how it looked back there before, no after shots as it got dark.

Also bought a new clutch on eBay brand new for a few of our great British pounds, hopefully do some work, tidy it up and sell it on when the gt is on the road!

i wonder if you got some thinners on it you could strip that black paint off? i would imagine its spray can so the thinners should remove it fairly easily, and used correctly not damage the original paintwork.

I'm with Beau, remove that awful paint! worth a test patch!!

Other than that, pretty cool! 650Kg sounds fooking cool, but also massively unsafe

Punto Lover
    Haha this is a little weapon! See one at a track day that had a 106 rallye 1.3 8v lump in it and it was keeping up with most things on the track, it also had nos fitted but wasn't allowed to be used on track ad was a standard engine too

Punto Enthusiast
    Those rallye's are no slouch, good fun them!
    Yeah not entirely safe, especially on the steels, no grip anywhere!
    And thinners sounds tempting but I can't help the lingering feeling there's some horrible mess of peeling faded red paint underneath, atleast this way it's obviously looking S&@T on purpose, if it were just grim original paint it's just kind of sad..
    But I guess it couldn't hurt, I'll try and thin some back, would be a cracking sleeper, and less of a pull, 5-0 are clearly going to have me at the side of the road very soon!

Punto know it all
    Yep these were popular back in the day.
    The gt had 85bhp then later versions gti got 100bhp.
    Weighing very little with plastic bonnet and boot maybe even the front wings.a hooners car ��

Punto Enthusiast

Transport while the Punto is off the road.

I can atleast put a pack of hobnobs in the back now without them being turned into dust before I get back from Tesco.
    Looks gash but so much tidier than the "before" pic.
    Will sort some better mounts for the net at some point but for now the window hinges are more than strong enough to hold a coat and whatever else I need to throw back there.
    Car is getting a bit neater, still a few things to do before I'm happy. And still rolling on the steelies which is terrifying in the rain. But still fun!

As soon as I get word back that I can keep my punto sorn across the road I'll start the gt conversion aswell. No idea how to go about it but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Punto Enthusiast

Also a blurry bonus pic of some driveshaft issues.