Thread: Opening up the GT Gearbox

Punto know it all

Opening up the GT Gearbox

Set about splitting open my old box today but Im stuck.

ive removed all the obvious bolts around the casing and bellhousing and the 3 inside and ive got the two split about 1/2 and inch apart but I cant shake the bellhousing off.

do i need to undo anything else. there are 4 bolts around the passenger side driveshaft aperture but i dont think they need to come off.

there is a retaining plate inside the bellhousing around the base of the input shaft behind where the release bearing was and its held on by 2 x 10mm bolts. does that have to come off? the bolts are off but the plate isnt moving or coming out.

I cant see what else might be stopping it unless pry bar time but dont want to risk damaging anything inside. After getting stuck I found Dr Evils guide and removed the selector bracket and the 2 bolts to allow it to pop up but that was after id split the casings about 10mm apart. the selector has popped right out a good inch but still i cant free off the bellhousing. have i got to pull out the selector the same time as pulling the bellhousing off? the resistance seems to be on the flattest underside of the box as you pull at the casing. you can hear something knocking as you pull. do those 3 detent bolts need to come out?

Once I get it open it will be interesting to see what reverse gear looks like. I hope to find its fubbered

Also I found the release bearing actuation very stiff when you press the slave arm across and pull it back -
    I expected it to move nice and freely so is this normal or should that sliding nicely in and out?
    Last edited by clarkster; 7th December 2013 at 12:38.

Punto know it all
    mods delete this rubbish. ive not read petes guide far down enough think im there now.

Twit

Punto know it all
    I know