Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eventful day

Punto Sports Club Member

Eventful day

Well got round to fitting my gearbox Eibach ARBS Gizzmo and a few other bits. On the way home from my friends unit decided to go to the petrol station. When I tried to start the car the battery was flat.

I have kept the same battery since the previous owner and I was close to the local car parts shop so I just went and bought a battery. Fitted the battery started first time and of I went home.

Decided it was time I changed my anti freeze had trouble getting all the air out of the system but think I have it all done now. Anyway now the fan does not kick in when it gets up to temp however it does work via the manual switch which is fitted.

I guess this points to the the fan switch being at fault, after messing about with the coolant etc I went to start the car up. Well now the new battery was flat hmmm so now I've most likely bought another battery for no reason and something is up with my alternator etc.

Went to try the car again an hour later it struggled but started up took it for a drive turned it on and off multiple times all is fine apart from the temp creeps up when stationary. Does the fan really effect temps that much when stationary?

Punto know it all
    that battery on yours looked really small if i remember correctly. no harm getting a decent heavy duty one for reliable winter cold starts but you do seem to be having a bit of bad run with that car mate......costing you a fair bit.

i wouldnt say that was money down the drain as they have a limited life and chances are if the alternators not been charging it for ages it was past its best.

with GTs its usually the battery or alternator. ive got a spare GT alternator if you want a decent second hand one.....text me.
    ive got the senders for the rad fan and stat too.

usually though u thought you got the battery light on the dash to warn you of low charge?

check all your cables too. i remember one cable we discussed on the left side of the bay - cant quite recall what was going on with that..............
    Last edited by clarkster; 19th November 2013 at 19:45.

Punto Sports Club Member
    Gearbox seems ok pal feels a little notchy but could be the oil needs time to work round. Also I did not change the clutch because I just could not afford to and needed the car back on the road so if that is what is causing this gearbox to feel like that then thats my own problem. It is much better than the gearbox I had though!

Punto know it all
    notchiness could be the oil but is usually the adjusters on the selectors....shame about the clutch.

Punto know it all
    sorry right side.....

Punto Sports Club Member
    Well with Christmas on it's way etc. I figured I just can't afford the clutch right now so it is what it is. Can I adjust the selectors then? Also just read yeah I have spent quite a lot on the car but I love the Trooper so it has to be done haha. I've even got Pete making me an elbow and downpipe for her.

Punto Enthusiast
    Check the charge rate with a multi meter should read 13+volts. If thats fine undo the earth lead off the battery and hold the multi meter across the battery and the lead to check for a drain.

Punto Sports Club Member
    Will try it in the morning Phil cheers for the suggestion

Punto know it all
    It had a new battery from halfords about a year ago, unless it's been swapped?

Also it had a new clutch not to long ago.

When it was at mine last year, it wouldn't start off the battery, even with a full charge.
    The only way I could get it started was by jumping it.

Punto Sports Club Member
    Its been starting of that halfords battery first time every time Ben until today. Chances are the battery is fine and I have a charging problem or maybe the boot relocation wires need replacing. The car is starting right now everytime of the new battery even though it also appeared flat earlier. Going to retry the halfords battery tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast