Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 'New' MK1 S

My 'New' MK1 S

Hey! First post, so I thought i'd share my MK1.

I turned 18 2 weeks ago and inherited this Punto off of my dad who has had it for as long as i can remember. The car itself hasn't moved for 2 years since he got a new car, so it has no MOT or Tax and would cost £300+ to make it road legal.

The car is in next to perfect condition, apart from the bonnet. The lacquer has completely peeled off and gives the bonnet a matte look.

This isn't the best photo of it but it shows what i was saying about the bonnet, but it was the only photo I have on my HDD (I'm away at the moment)

I have a long list of things im planning to do to it, but I want to try and keep it clean. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Areet young blud!

Is that burnt orange? Lush color like.

Keep it standard, clean, color code bumpers, and sort out the bonnet. Rust proof everything you can, then rust proof it again! Look out for rust all along the sills and the rear inner arches.

Save your moneys then do a GT engine conversion when you can afford to insure it

Lovely colour isn't it?

I'll definitely be getting some colour coded bumpers and bonnet is the first thing being changed. I can get it repainted or wrapped the same colour or matte black for £50, which i don't think is too bad.

The engine on the other hand will be upgraded over time, insurance on this at the moment is going to cost £2600 I dread to imagine what it'll be with all the modifications!

Punto Enthusiast
    You can get a better quote than that matey! Shop about! I got a VERY good quote when I insured my mk1 about 8 months ago, I went with insure2drive in the end, obscure company but worked for me!
    And the burnt orange can look very nice if you have a look around you can find some nice examples! Some GT3 alloys go very well if you ask me!

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to call around then. I've been using some price comparison websites, insane amounts. I got quoted 15k minimum when I was 17 a few months back. Hopefully, as you said, I can get a cheaper quote.

Those GT3 alloys are nice, I was planning on a 40mm drop (My drive is gravel -.-) and some new alloys as some of the first things I do it!

And another thing, my passenger door is such a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the car. Its barely noticeable but it gets on my nerves. I really should get it changed.

More images! Not fancy, just took them on my phone.

I always go thru the guide on here when sorting insurance for a standard car: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

And don't worry about the differing shades of paint, have a look thru the "Detailing" section of the forum, you may be able to bring the color back yourself with a bit of elbow grease.

Allow the matt black wrap on the bonnet, it'll look like you've just put an unpainted new bonnet on! The color is the best thing going for it (at the min ) so show it off! Maybe look at smoothing the bonnet - removing the badge and filling the holes, relocating the windscreen washers and smoothing them out and give it a lick of paint it'll look slick!

The whole removing the badges and relocating windscreen washers sounds ace, I can imagine it now. Very sleek looking.

I best get looking into finding the coloured bumpers as well!

Fortunately, I'll have next to unlimited access to ramps and dyno so that is a bonus, save doing everything on the drive and a save a few quid as well.

Punto Enthusiast
    Also a centre console will make your interior feel a lot nicer, trust me, probably the best thing I did interior-wise!
    Your best bet for stuff like that is to find a car in a scrap yard, buying separate little things will quickly add up! But good luck anyway, could look very nice when done!
    Have you got full membership? If you ever want to waste a few hours it's great to look through the project threads in the members section! It will give you lots of ideas and could let you know how your car could end up with a bit of work..

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast