Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that Back Box

Punto know it all

Name that Back Box

Ive attached some photos of the rear section on my car as I think its mullered and would like to buy an identical replacement. The only problem is its not got a name like Peco Mongoose or Scorpion etc stamped on it anywhere so I dont know what make it is.

It might be a one off special but doubt it as the bends of the pipe to the rear are extremely well done like factory - I have seen some real amateur mandrel bending on exhausts lately which actually constricts the pipe at the bends so its not some back street bodge job. The pipe is 2.25" stainless.

The main silencer is round and measures 16.5" long by 5.5" diameter.
    The tail pipe is a slash back cut measuring 7" on the top and 5.5" at the bottom (so angles back 1.5")
    The tail section is welded on to come out at the back nice and straight - not at a strange angle like many aftermarket zorsts.

If you help shed any light on who might have made these that would be great...........or if you know of anybody selling a good one.
    Last edited by clarkster; 18th October 2013 at 14:51.

At first glance the welding of the tailpipe makes it look to me like a its a custom backbox.

There's a canny few custom exhaust builders, longlife usually have their logo etched into the tailpipes and boxes, powerflow have them stamped into the boxes i think - so probably not either of those.

There's a big shop round your ends www.mijexhaust.com, pretty sure they'll have a mandrel bending machine... May be worth giving them a shout and get a comparison quote from Longlife if there's one near you.

I'm not affiliated with either company - but did have a downpipe made by Longlife Bolton, and they did a decent job!

Punto know it all
    Ha, Longlife made my last zorst well my garage have a Longlife franchise so its etched onto the silencers but the mandrel bending was gash. here is pic from that system which I sold and it shows what I mean......the old system has flowing curves to it virtually no signs of any bending machine been near it.

I know MIJ are only 10 minutes away so if all else fails i may visit them but looking at their website their bends aint much better......

Punto Enthusiast
    Looks abit like a universal back box. Dont all others exit at the cut out in the bumper?

Punto know it all
    Could be.i may just end up having it copied.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    Looks like maybe a supersprint

Punto know it all
    Success!

Pipeworx are going to replicate this for me. A 200 mile road trip to Ormskirk from Birmingham on Monday but it should be worth it.....I gave up trying to find a proper "custom" exhaust builder in the midlands. Thank god for the internet to find these people........

Will report back afterwards and the guy has said they will hang it better too because as you can see from the photo mine is on the low side. I have been quoted between £150 and £170 which is very reasonable considering its not off the shelf. They will be cutting the back box materials to the exact length and making the diameter the same too. Check the quality of their products out on ebay. The back boxes they do are usually either 300mm or 450mm long when mine is 430mm so they will make me one up that fits exactly - i think i need something shorter than that say 375mm that could miss the shock absorber and rear bumper bracing but I'll see when I get there. I might ask them to angle the back box more so that the tailpipe comes out where the fiat cut out is and that way they can mount it higher up under the car.

I have already heard good things about Pipeworx so fingers crossed. The guy I spoke to was not in a rush to get off the phone, knew what I wanted, was very helpful so on first impressions I am well,.........impressed.
    Last edited by clarkster; 24th October 2013 at 10:24.

Punto know it all
    Thanks to Jamie up in Lichfield who picked up Anils wheels today he recommended R W Developments who could fabricate me an exhaust. As they are only a few miles away from me it makes much more sense to give Dean @ R W a lookin - it might save me a 200 mile round trip to Ormskirk now. Seems he mainly does Veedubs and Glanzas/Starlets etc. but will consider most stuff.

The quality of the work looks extremely high from the photos I have seen (especially the formed pipe bends and finish of the welding) so I am off to meet him tomorrow lunchtime so that he can measure up and see what I want. also taking that straight thru pipe with me to get him to cut out the shite bends (see pic above) and weld in some proper bends so its not restricting flow. if the new rear muffler is mega quiet i'll ditch the centre box and put the straight thru back on and see what thats like noise/performance wise.

Last edited by clarkster; 25th October 2013 at 17:40.

Punto Enthusiast
    I've liked RW developments on Facebook and get to see his work a lot, it's some quite good looking work! You should ask about other breathing mods he can do while you're there, would be interesting to see if he is up for making anything else for the forum lot!

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Punto know it all
    how about a bonalume type top boost pipe ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast