Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owning a 2nd car

Punto Enthusiast

Owning a 2nd car

Been reading a few threads on here and I get the impression that a few of you on here have your Punto as a 2nd car rather than your everyday car. For anyone of you out there I have some questions I hope you don't mind answering:

1: If you don't have a garage do you rent one and if you do is it expensive?

2: If you don't have a garage to store it do you cover it up to protect it from the elements?

3: If it's not your everyday car do you still have it insured for the year or for when you take it out for meets/shows or whatever?

I'm asking because I live in a flat that has a public parking area for the residents outside. I want to travel back and forth to London on my day off from work and I'm beginning to think that my Punto may not be the best choice for so many trips.

Punto Lover
    I have been through most options, from having it standing in the driveway, with and without a cover on it, but for the past years I have been renting a place to store it, and the last year I have rented a 90 sqm place/workshop on a farm near by. It's one of my hobbies, so I just have to pay the price.

Punto Enthusiast
    If you want to protect it properly I would rent a garage if you go to your local council they may rent one to I did this and it cost £60 a month or you can try find a private one but expect to pay £120 +

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
    If you want to protect it properly I would rent a garage if you go to your local council they may rent one to I did this and it cost £60 a month or you can try find a private one but expect to pay £120 +
    **** the bed.

My council garage costs £30 a month. Does yours have power and light?

When my car is finished I'll definitely keep it in a garage. For a car thats not used regularly being out in the elements (covered or not) will do damage.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Punto Enthusiast
    When I was in London you had to be on a waiting list for years before you could rent one from the council. I don't know what it is like where I live now. I want to at some point start working on my car. May not go the fully modified route but at least get the interior and some of the body and trim looking like showroom standard. The shell it self is pretty solid, a few surface rust spots but nothing that should need welding I hope.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
    bugger me thats alot i only pay £80 for a year for my council garage.

would recomend to garage it if possible

i run 2 cars, and they are both on the road every/most days, i just jump in which ever one i fancy really, yesterday was both, only maserati today, depends what im doing really!

im not sure a garage would really work, i think you would end up putting it in there and never getting it out again lol, seems like alot of hassle if you got to go get it out the garage just to go for a drive each time.

Punto Enthusiast
    I have mine insured for 12 month then if I feel like goinv out in it I can.

Im having a garage built so i can store/work on one of my 3 cars.

I cant afford to run all 3 at the same time but its not an issue at the mo as the Uno and Punto both need major work.

Having a traders policy helps too, but yeah using a cover is the next best thing to a lock up mate.

Punto Enthusiast
    Does anyone get special insurance, like limited milage or does owning a MK1 qualify it to be insured as a classic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast