Thread: Another newbie into the fold...

Smile Another newbie into the fold...

Hi all - just joined and will be looking for help and advice for sure! My 1996 Punto 55S has only done about 70K genuine miles from new - it's been in the family all that time - but bodywork looking tired and in need of a serious T-cut or some such. It's the Rosso Swift colour and has really oxidised over time = elbow grease idc.

It's been a great, reliable and cost-effective run-around down here in the Bath/Bristol area and even managed the odd trip the north. In fact on one such occasion last year some local savages attempted to nick it but couldn't start it due to the need for a chip in the key. Although foiled in the attempts to start and drive off they did manage to break the steering lock and column, rip out the radio and hammer out the passenger door lock .......... they did all this badly!! Hmmm. Replacement steering column fitted but replacement door just not worth the expense (at the mo?) especially as will need new locks too + fitting etc.

Have decided to fill the gaping hole on the passenger door and not bother with a lock on that side - as a 3dr machine I can easily lock/unlock it from the driver side. I'm looking for instructions as to removal of the passenger door card - I have the workshop manual but it only covers the electric window variant whereas mine has the good old winder. I can get all the screws/bolts out but can't remove the window winder handle - am a little shy of using serious pressure with a screw driver to lever it off, if in fact that it is how it is removed.

Am sure someone out there in Punto OC-land knows the answer - any takers please???

Once again ..... glad to be here.

Punto Enthusiast
    Welcome mate there could be two ways to do it. Either the center cap on the winder will pop off and reveal a screw or if you pull it out slightly there may be a round spring pin that will need to be taken out. Other than that I don't no.

manual winder has as above, a spring clip, hard to explain, but we slide a screw driver in and give it a wiggle, I have to take them all off as no one else hear seems to have the nack!

Welcome along.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntospares View Post
    manual winder has as above, a spring clip, hard to explain, but we slide a screw driver in and give it a wiggle, I have to take them all off as no one else hear seems to have the nack!
    Yep, the spring clip removal does it all right. If I could post a photo I'd show you all!!

Punto Enthusiast
    welcome to psc