Thread: Cleaning the Volvo and Corsa.

Cleaning the Volvo and Corsa.

I've directly copied this from Detailing World so some of it is phrased a little oddly. But here you go.

Had my Volvo for about a year now and having recently moved house and sorted out all of my detailing gear decided to give her a proper wash instead of some £5 hand cash wash!

I won't go into too much detail as you've all seen it before, but a quick run down of the products I used in each stage.

Prewash - I used the last of my CG Strong Wash (Bug Bugger) through a £3 Sainsburys pump sprayer and let that dwell for a few minutes whilst I sprayed each wheel with Bilberry wheel cleaner. Once it had dwelled for long enoug I rinsed it off. Then I applied Autobrite Super Snow foam through my new HD lance. Shuts were sprayed with Meguiars APC.

Wash - I decided to try out Autobrite's Citrus Pearl shampoo which I gratefully received with my new lance. Instead of using the 2BM I tried out a new technique I've seen mentioned on here. I diluted the shampoo 1:10 in a bottle and applied it a panel and washed with my wash mitt and rinsed in a bucket of clean water after each panel. Was surprisingly effective and saved having to lug two buckets around the car with me as I went, I just had one and the lance.

Decontamination - Tar removed using AS Tardis. What a fantastic product and easily better than any other tar remover I've tried. Next I used Sonus green clay and lube. I was surprised how little the clay picked up, Tardis really did a great job. I then snow foamed the car once more to ensure the Tardis was fully rinsed. I then cleaned the two exhaust tips with Autosol Metal Polish as they were looking a little worse for wear.

Enhancement - The paintwork isn't in too bad a shape as the car is only a year old so I went round with my Dodo Juice Buff Daddy and a green Hexlogic pad using some Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I wasn't after a correction, just enhancement and to remove some of the swirls it's picked up over the year.

Unfortunately as the weather was looking grim I didn't have time to apply a proper wax, instead I opted for Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax spray and applied this to the whole car. I then dressed the engine bay with some Halfords Naturals Trim Revitaliser as I haven't purchased any G101 yet!

Nanolex Final Finish

I remembered that I had a sample of Nanolex's new Final Finish product to try. I probably should have applied this instead of the Maguiars but it was too late by then (sorry!). So using a MF I went round the car with the FF and was amazed how easy it was to apply and how little was needed. Once the MF was "charged" with product I barely had to add any more to the panels/glass as I went round the car. The smell is undescribable, I really like the natural smell of the product and the shine it added. I'll more than likely invest in some more once Nanolex release it.

Some pics of the Volvo. (Sorry about the order, bloody Flickr!)

Standard beading shot, very nice indeed!

Next onto SWMBO's unloved Corsa. A similar method was used as above except for the prewash stage, I have used all of my CG Strong Wash and I've waiting for my order of ValetPro Citrus Wash from CYC so decided to apply a 10:1 mix of Meguiars APC through another of the Sainsburys £3 pump sprayers. I also managed to find some Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels in Tesco (and some price matched by Halfords) so wanted to give it a try. I really liked the results.

When finishing the car I didn't apply the Megs Ultimate Quik Wax and applied the Nanolex Final Finish instead after hand polishing the bonnet with some Megs Ultimate Compound to remove a few minor scratches. Again very impressed with it.

Sorry no really during shots, I was in a bit of a hurry.

After I fitted the numberplate again there was a little shower and noticed this on the rear bumper... http://youtu.be/02by2UpuX5A

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Punto Sports Club Member Damosan's Avatar
    Good job

i bet they wasnt that dirty in the first place being newish cars
    ALL GENUINE FIAT PARTS AVAILABLE AT TRADE PRICES TO PSC MEMBERS
    WE ARE THE 2ND LONGEST SERVING FIAT DEALER
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...38#post1311438

Quote Originally Posted by smallpaul View Post
    i bet they wasnt that dirty in the first place being newish cars
    Mine wasn't as I gave it a really quick clean last weekend but my girlfriends was quite dirty.

Since having the Volvo I've usually taken it to a hand car wash so it's amazing what they missed, my car was covered in tar still.

New cars aren't always clean.

Punto Lover
    Look mint

Cheers mate.

Thank you.

Yes snow foam was used (you can see it in the pictures) as well as a polish. I forget which one I use as I have a few. I think it was Meguiars Ultimate Compound.