Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 Mk2 Uno turbo ie

1990 Mk2 Uno turbo ie

So where to begin with yet another Uno turbo under my wing, ive had around 12 or so of these italian basket cases both Mk1 & Mk2's which i prefer tbh.
    I should really know better with these cars as they hide and indeed boast so many issues not least the main culprit being rust rust and more rust!

As for my Punto GT that is still here, she will be back on the road at some point but for now im going to play with this for a while until a 2ltr engine pops up worth having.

So I stumbled apon this Uno on another forum where a passing comment was made regarding the storage of it in a garage for 10 years infact not been taxed since 2001, a cheeky PM and the rest is history.

The good bits and there are many beleive it or not are as follows.

Its very much un-molested which means no bleed valves and no open cone filters in the engine bay,OEM exhaust too, it is as was intended by Fiat.

It does however benefit from having new Koni Shocks and springs fitted to lower the hideous standard ride height but for me still sits a little too high so i will be changing the springs at some point.

Also it has new calipers, discs and pads fitted all round again so a nice money saver for me as i will surely need all the extra pennies i can get

The car hasnt been in the hands of some chav like most have been these days so to bring her back to its former glory will be enjoyable.

All the interior is present except the two rear door cards however i hope to have sourced some at the weekend plus a new drivers door as this one is soooooo rotten its about to turn into dust!

Right plans are as follows ive already done a full service on it including, plugs, leads, rotor arm, fuel filter, oil filter & oil, new fuel pump as the other was duff, air filter, dizzy cap just waiting on pre pump filter to arrive from Italy.

Next up is to fit the new handbrake cables and get that working, brakes have been bled and now its onto the clutch being hydrolic the slave cylinder has given up the ghost so a new one is on order.

Now on inspection ie jacked up and having a poke about its going to need both sides welding plus the rear arches welded aswell then the floor rubbed down and fully treated with a ton of wax oil.

Once the welding has been recitified then i will seek a full re-paint and then hopefully it will be some where near to how i want it

This is how she was, storred up in a garage ooop north. Once again cheers to Andy B and his mate for bringing this down to me, top bloke.

And on my drive......

Obviously missing its alloys so thought i would put my Punto GT alloys and bin the steels until i source some oem jobbies

A sneeky peek of the new suspension, discs, pads and calipers although for some reason have been painted by Stevie Wonder they are horrid so will be rubbing down and painting black or silver

Although a filthy engine bay its completly original, standard boost pressure too

Filthy interior continues the theme

Other side sporting the rotting door

Some of the floor that needs attention

Rear turret although rusty is not beyond repair so thats a bonus, the boot floor is pefect though all around the seams is bang on!

A few more pics of the cleaning mission haha

Started with the minging seat, drivers by far the worst

Bit of foam and scrubbing.......

and much better

Deep soak of the dash, this was caked in dirt ect

and then onto the engine bay starting at the wings and turrets ect

Oh and a cheeky badge from Italy to go on once shes painted

Much more to follow as the parts begin to arrive.....

Punto Lover
    As I am stripping my 1990 Uno Turbo let me know if there is anything you need, as its always nice to see people do good things to them. Luckily, I have a shell for my project that have never been on the road, and therefore have no rust at all

I am looking forward to follow your project!

(i have only had 9 of them...)

Quote Originally Posted by UnoTurboDenmark View Post
    As I am stripping my 1990 Uno Turbo let me know if there is anything you need, as its always nice to see people do good things to them. Luckily, I have a shell for my project that have never been on the road, and therefore have no rust at all

I am looking forward to follow your project!

(i have only had 9 of them...)
    Thank you mate appreciate the offer then, im sure there will be a few parts i require as time goes on.

Ah youve had numerous Uno's like me making you just as mad then haha

Punto know it all
    Very nice Matt!! It will look spot on once you've had ur hands on it!!

Punto know it all
    How did this one slip through the net?

Punto Lover
    Your transform that to a stunner, see what you mean about the rust on them! Glad to see it after you said about it

Punto know it all
    Way too go Matt. looks good and im sure this will become another NO.1# ill keep my eye out on this one . Subscribed.

Punto Lover
    Im sure this will be a minter once sorted Matt, always had a soft spot for these. Dean did a lovely job on his MK1 so im sure yours will just as nice

Apparently there is less than 100 of these in the UK now!

Cheers lads yeah a little time and effort sorting the foundations ie the rust then onto making her look pretty.

I had to take a punt on this really as Barry stated the numbers are dwindling fast and the values are soaring with 2 mk1's fetching circa 5k each with two recent mk2's on the 3.5k mark so a sound investment too.

Managed to source some rear door cards as they were missing plus a replacement drivers door and a full Scorpion exhaust sytem including down pipe plus 2 x new front wings!

Next job fit the slave cylinder and bleed the clutch so I can actually move/drive it lol

Already had a chap who made an offer to purchase the car which is a nice touch.

Punto Sports Club Member Damosan's Avatar
    Look forward to seeing progress on this mate

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast