Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Prices

Punto know it all

Petrol Prices

I was wondering if we would have seen a decent fall in pump prices before now as wholesale fuel prices dropped back in April by 7%.

So far we havent seen any drop to write home about. My local station went from 139.9 to 138.9 - big deal!

The good news is that ASDA are apparently dropping their forecourt prices to £134.7p a litre for unleaded maximum. i tihnk this kicks in today or tomorrow.

I wonder where we would be without the supermarkets to be honest. If they werent around to compete against Shell, Esso BP Total etc I get the feeling we would all be on our backs, legs in the air wide apart!

Really ticks me off to think that had the wholesale price gone up yesterday then by today youd have a little guy on his ladder changing the prices outside the petrol stations.

I have signed up to Fair Fuel for the UK campaigne but it barely has 250,000 people sign up out of over 33 million drivers - less than 1%. Everyone moans yet nobody really seems to want to do anything about it.

How happy would we all be now if petrol was a £1 a litre? Remember how up in arms we all were when it broke the £1 barrier? Everybody just takes it on the chin thinking they cant do anything about the ridiculous percentage of tax we pay on every litre. Its not really the cost of the oil-its the rising cost of the tax the government get every time oil goes up a penny.

enjoy the new asda prices because come august we are due 3p a litre to be added again by the government. it stinks and fuel costs are beginning to kill our economy.
    Last edited by clarkster; 11th May 2012 at 15:16.

Bird brain???
    Your lucky to live where you are stu, petrol is still £1.42 to £1.43 round near me.

I paid £140.9 for Tesco Momentum 99 today.

I agree though, fuel prices went up when they said we were due a fuel strike but the prices have only just been reduced to the price they were before.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    1.41 is the cheapest ive seen for diesel. I don't look around much at unleaded any more.

Thats at Morrison in Bradford. Which to be honest is one of the cheapest around ive seen on my travels.

Punto know it all
    My local shell are charging 1.43/litre for diesel.

Punto know it all
    i see £1.40 as a real breaking point. i cant really explain it to anyone i just feel that that price is just a micky take for what you get in return. a poxy litre of fuel. i stuck £9 in the GT the other day as the light came on the dash. after 15 miles the damn light was back on! it made me realise that £9 these days barely gets you much more than a gallon.

weve all seen how quiet the roads are after 7pm at night. nobody can afford to drive around anymore apart from the odd day out and getting to work.

i bet the tourism industry, amusements, theme parks, cafes, services, hotels B&Bs guest houses, hire firms, even shops have been hit because they arent getting the people through the door anymore.

i know loads of people who have cut their car use right down and not out of choice.
    its easy for the Politically correct to say thats good and green etc but in a society that is so car dependent we are screwed if the prices keep going north.

our food and goods all arrive at the shops by lorries using diesel. hauliers have long absorbed increases in fuel but have no more margin to do this so they are going bust.
    it doesnt stop the cost of food and goods increasing.

now we hear of an impending 15% increase in Gas prices. Heaven help hard working hard pressed families as it is things are not exactly flush. many families are now selling off their 2nd cars as its just financially viable anymore. when will they be forced to sell their only car?

it makes that budget change to the top rate of tax feel a right piss take for those at the lower end of the tax scale. millionaires getting a reduction that frankly they would even miss if it stayed. £100 to fill a car for them is no bother.
    Last edited by clarkster; 11th May 2012 at 15:38.

It's rubbish that fuel is as expensive as it is but it hasn't stopped me doing anything I would normally do, I've not changed my habits or not gone somewhere because of it.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntoboy View Post
    It's rubbish that fuel is as expensive as it is but it hasn't stopped me doing anything I would normally do, I've not changed my habits or not gone somewhere because of it.
    you will chris, you will.....everyone has a breaking point. would you pay a tenner for a gallon? thats £10 to do about 30miles or over a ton to fill a GT up?

maybe not right now but where will prices be in 6 or 12 months?

Im not sure if the crack in Syria is having any effect on world oil prices or whether it could in the future.

Pressure should be mounted against our high fuel taxes and VAT duty but the government are now so reliant on the motorist for revenue and still banging on about getting our deficit down.
    Last edited by clarkster; 11th May 2012 at 15:43.

Of course I will, but that won't be until £1.70 a litre at least.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    you will chris, you will.....everyone has a breaking point. would you pay a tenner for a gallon? thats £10 to do about 30miles or over a ton to fill a GT up?
    The way i drive i get 90 miles to £20 lol

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast