Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Punto GT buyers guide

Punto know it all
    i think the basics can be taken as a given that most would check these anyway whether youre buying a GT or a Nissan Sunny (like the heater fan, crash damage, V5, mileage, keys etc), i do think though that a concise list of key areas that can afflict GTs specifically would be useful some of which have been touched on above;

it depends too on the car in question. if somebody came to see my car and wanted to spend 2 hours going through this lot i send them on their way......with a 500 shitter you expect it to be hiding a few gremlins......

starting good? idling OK from cold and settling to around 800-1000rpm after about 2 minutes?
    general running on and off boost? once warm do any lights come on the dash?
    ask the owner if the fuel tank leaks ? it might look dry when you get underneath it but the owner might only have a fivers worth in the tank to stop it showing. smell petrol?
    check the oil pressure and the temp gauge - get the car warm from cold ideally
    the previous consecutive MOTs with any advisory notes will reveal a lot about a car,
    get underneath and look for corrosion all over, under the rear seats inside and under both front doors (glass shards left in the water channels can block them and lead to rust forming in the door skins).
    check coolant level when cold. signs of coolant leaks, brown staining around connections, expansion tank or the thermostat.
    check the rad fan kicks in when hot.
    check the heater blows hot air.
    any car with the wrong bumpers (small mouth or no GT headlight washers ie: a sporting or base model bumper), skirts, side rubbing strips or the mirrors may have had a bump. same goes for bumpers that have been completed colour coded over.
    Know your GT1s from your GT2s or GT3s spec. which might raise any suspicions.
    for the new MOT make sure all the dash lights come on and then extinguish correctly.
    always lift out all floor mats to make sure the carpet underneath is OK.
    check the radio works - i bought a GT about 4 years ago with no aerial cable fitted !
    open and close the sunroof as this can be temperamental.
    look at the condition of the oil on the dipstick before its started from cold. is the level on or below its minimum? A rusty old oil filter can tell its own story too,same goes for the leads if they look grubby.
    locking wheel nut key present? dont drive off without it.
    fiat alarm box key?
    steering - lock to lock. check for worn CV joints clicking - get under them and check all the boots.
    check all gears including reverse.
    handbrake travel
    excessively loud tappet or drive belt or pulley/tensioner noises or squeals etc
    excessive engine rocking when on or off the throttle - likely a mount or two has worn.
    if you have a mate they could follow you on a test drive to check for crabbing if the car has been badly repaired. also they can look for smoke.
    worth checking the abs kicks in without the warning light coming on - make sure nobody is behind you.
    if a space saver spare wheel and jack is important to you check its in the boot.
    check the VIN number next to the drivers seat against the V5.
    front and rear springs - if they look in bad way and you can make out some daubed paint markings on them chances are they are the originals and probably way past it. the dampers are harder to judge but most will have been upgraded. just see if they have any wetness around them suggesting leaks (oil filled).
    check the lever that opens the boot lid remotely.
    check the heated rear screen works if possible - i bought one where only half the elements heated up!) or just ask the seller if it works correctly first.
    Last edited by clarkster; 21st April 2012 at 00:18.

Punto Lover
    Very valid points Stuart.

Its good to get the basics in as well cause some people may not know about these. This list could also be used for first time buyers of an ordinary Punto if they wish.

I'll add your points to the list. At the end of the day it's up to the mods I don't mind starting it off.
    Last edited by chetchet007; 21st April 2012 at 00:32.

Good idea! I can't think why we've not got one! I'll put everyones points together and make an FAQ or Sticky.

Punto know it all
    Punto GT buyers guide:

Buy something else!

only joking

Im sure there was one at some point!

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Linkys:

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?t=32318
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...p?t-93294.html

Mk2:
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...?t-100930.html

Just a quick note on Red keys. Their primary useful function is to clear and then re-record the available Blue keys' transponder codes in the CODE box.

RCL/alarm code updating is via the 4-digit codes for each unique Blue key and requires knowledge of at least one code already memorised in the RCL receiver. There may also be a Master 4-digit code associated with the Red key, but I can't prove or disprove this.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Im sure there was one at some point!
    Nope you've never had a buyers guide on here since I joined in 2003

Punto Lover
    Tim, I used the search feature, however the displayed threads were all over the shop.

I thought it would be easier to have all the information in one post.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by chetchet007 View Post
    Tim, I used the search feature, however the displayed threads were all over the shop.

Of course it would be Chet you dont wanna be searching through twenty threads for half baked info.
    Last edited by Barry; 22nd April 2012 at 16:54.

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by chetchet007 View Post

Sorry mate, my intention was to use this as a collection thread and then edit it all together, either for a new sticky thread or moved and edited as necessary. I wasn't trying to be difficult, honest.

I sometimes find that a Google site search (append site:www.puntosports.co.uk to your search words and "phrases") can yield better results.
    Last edited by GT3guy; 22nd April 2012 at 10:48. Reason: Added site search note.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast