Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Punto Ard GT - Cannon 5D Photoshoot

Brummy bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by PuntoGTturbo View Post
    If I wanted I can get all the car in focus I just wanted to do something different... I don't take car photos, this was the first one I ever did..

Photographer
    Oh so on the fifth picture down you were intentionally trying to get just "nto GT" in focus, very different!

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post
    Oh so on the fifth picture down you were intentionally trying to get just "nto GT" in focus, very different!
    looooool..... you are a funny guy......... no just the gt but being so close to the "nto" that was focused too...... wow!!!!!! sorry got the "nto" in focus to MR pro photographer... i will try better next time....
    LOOOOOOOL

Opinions wanted please comment, good and bad points! Cheers
    Did the guy replying not see this bit in the initial post????

hi there... Not one of the photos are out of focus... It has been centre focused on different places so I can get some DOF (Depth of field)..... The dark photos are ment to be dark it's called artistic.... Being different.....
    It's a CANON 5d mkii with a 85mm 1.2 ii L didn't want to go for a wide angle lens like others All the photos are edited and was taking in raw not jpeg (out of the camera onto the net) like others I have a canon 60d 5dc 5d mkii and a 7d I got all the L lens and more, why? Coz I can.....
    ----- photographer --------
    Great, everyone loves an internet bullshitter! News for you.... Some photos are mostly out of focus, despite what you say your intentions were. Nothing of significance is in focus in the second photo as well as others!

You know about RAW, great, you must be a pro then! Many people can and do use RAW, however most people on the internet are content with their iPhone or a point and shoot digital camera.

If I wanted I can get all the car in focus I just wanted to do something different... I don't take car photos, this was the first one I ever did..

Photographer
    Lol..... Funny guy....
    Photographer
    looooool..... you are a funny guy......... no just the gt but being so close to the "nto" that was focused too...... wow!!!!!! sorry got the "nto" in focus to MR pro photographer... i will try better next time....
    LOOOOOOOL

If you can't take critisim, especially when it was asked for if anyone had any then you should keep off the internet!

Don't come back with any more stupid replys, we appreciate the punto content but if you're looking for C&C on your photography and made up camera collection, put them on a photography forum and let its users suck your arse because you won't get that here!

Punto Lover
    Dan is correct with regard to exposure and focus. If it was intentional I'm afraid it didn't work for me. That said as long as the photographer and the client likes them then job done.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    Isn't two people signing in on one user a ban lol

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.432833,0.211855

if you want to look at car pics and how/what to focus on, just take a look at any of the detailing threads I have made I'm no pro-photographer, and only have a 450d, but I would say what I churn out are arguably superior to this, and I am not trying to earn money with the photography!! So I would say there's a long way to go yet before up to a standard whereby people would pay for the images. Its nice to see some different approaches though, and I will say that some cars are better to photograph than others - and the Punto, admittedly, isn't the most photogenic car I have ever taken shots of!!

He'd have probably been better trying a more standardised approach, and got the images right first before venturing into more artistic style ones. Just a thought; back to basics and all that..
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

PSC sex offender no.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    if you want to look at car pics and how/what to focus on, just take a look at any of the detailing threads I have made I'm no pro-photographer, and only have a 450d, but I would say what I churn out are arguably superior to this, and I am not trying to earn money with the photography!! So I would say there's a long way to go yet before up to a standard whereby people would pay for the images. Its nice to see some different approaches though, and I will say that some cars are better to photograph than others - and the Punto, admittedly, isn't the most photogenic car I have ever taken shots of!!

He'd have probably been better trying a more standardised approach, and got the images right first before venturing into more artistic style ones. Just a thought; back to basics and all that..
    +1 from me....not often Debo gets that

As he rightly says...if you've never taken shots of vehicles then don't go all out trying to be arty. Get the basics down pat to begin with.

As Superdan rightly says...most of those shots are average at best...even the 'arty' ones.
    Out of focus isn't the same as artistic. It's just out of focus.
    You say you are using an 85mm lens...which is a prime lens. Get yourself a basic telephoto...even a kit lens...and you'll find the images should improve just through the versatility the lens will give.

Looking at specific shots:

Image 2 : Not sure what you were hoping for here. Whatever it was you failed as you have a very well focused wing. A block of yellow in focus. nothing else. Try to focus on details rather than blocks of colour.

Image 4 : The parking bays are somewhat distracting...I understand the crop placing the car according to the rule of thirds but the bays ruin it....possibly a different location for this kind of shot?

Image 5 : Learn a bit more about controlling d.o.f before trying this kind of shot....you'll always get a band of focus in a shallow d.o.f image...you've used a vertical band here where you could easily have used a horizontal band and not had the 'nto' in focus. Not a bad effort though.

Image 6 : I'm cringing just at the thought of the histogram(google it) for this image. Blown out highlights and black areas are a fail I'm afraid.

Image 8 : Possibly try a different location...so the car is roughly the same colour across it's panels. Looks like a nearby light has through a colour cast over the roof. Not entirely sure why there is a person in the shot.

Image 9 : A definate improvement on 6....much better exposure

Image 10 : No, no, bloody no. Blow out highlight draws the eye to the out of focus wall while the viewer kinda spots something vaguely shiny on the right hand side.

Image 11 & 14 : Over exposed by about a stop...maybe 2 (google it) Exposing any darker would have given you a harder shadow on the right which would have also been bad....lesson to learn from this is that xenon/hid/superbright headlights are *REALLY* bad for photography. The light they provide is too sterile and harsh. A diffuser filter on the lens may have help of failing that tracing paper over the light works as a last resort.

Image 15 : Needs a slightly wider d.o.f to really work. Not a bad effort though.

Image 24 : Over exposure and harsh lighting have drained colour from the bodywork...or was that intentionally artistic? It's kinda hard to tell as I'm too distracted by the fact the shot isn't quite horizontal but is not angled enough to be classed as arty. Might be worth sorting the horizon angle and cropping to a wide but short shot to lose some of the excess brickwork.

Might be worth getting some rolling shots in daylight to help you practice your d.o.f and exposure skills.

Hopefully you'll take these points as constructive criticism....I've tried to add something to each that gives you a hint or some advice and shall finish off with some examples to give you ideas or things to practice.

D.o.f. example...

Rolling shot example...

Angle/lighting example...

Punto Enthusiast
    What kind of black is that on the bonnet?

PSC sex offender no.1
    That's carbon fibre on the bonnet.

Punto know it all
    Some good advice there crabbo.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast