Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shiny red Punto GT3

Punto know it all
    looks great! really liking red cars lately aswell!

Punto Lover
    Thanks guys!!!

Matt (debo) I did do sections on the car, not as far as masking the sections off, but I gestimated them. I saw one of your threads a while back thinking why has he done half the wing. Then I kind of realised as I was going along and out of pure luck cause my fingers were aching due to pressing two buttons to get the mop going.

Hope you've all had a wonderfull Christmas and haven't eaten too much!

Good man! Yeah, I am the same, I don't bother masking every section off, usually just work my way to a 'landmark', maybe a vent, indicator, swage line or something to mark where I am working to. I only really use the tape on big panels like the bonnet or roof, or to get a good 50/50. I'm not like some of the lads on DW who mask every panel and shoot 50/50's of each one, I feel like saying sometimes "yeah, we get it!!" when they post 100 pics of the damage on each panel.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto Lover
    The fun part is doing my dads off white transit, with sign writing.

Have you got any tips for this Matt? I don't want to ruin the stickers with the mop.

Mask around the sign writing mate, then no doubt the signs also have swirls on so if you decide to polish those you need to mask the edges of them where they meet the paintwork. What you don't want is the polisher lifting it off the paint so you don't want it catching the edges!

If you get any polish residue trapped down by the sides of the sign writing, a toothpick is a good tool to get rid of it, same around badges. Always keep stuff like that and cotton wool buds handy
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto know it all
    what size da did you use?
    also how do you mean 2 buttons, the da's iv used only have 1 button/trigger on it

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by cragterharris View Post
    what size da did you use?
    also how do you mean 2 buttons, the da's iv used only have 1 button/trigger on it
    I used 4" pads, the DA I used has been stated on the first page, not really sure what you're trying to ask with regards to what size DA I used.

I have to push a button on the side of the trigger to get the mop spinning each time I start off, then it's a simple case of keeping the trigger down while I'm using the DA.

I kept on stopping and starting cause I was worried about over using the DA, cause I've never used one before.
    Last edited by chetchet007; 27th December 2011 at 12:16.

Punto know it all
    You can get different size da's I.e. 8" ,6" ,4" ,2" I believe its the swirl patterns it makes

For preping at college we use 6" da's and can only assume for polishing you would use smaller ones

Craig, you're talking about pad size mate, and they vary from 8" down to 3" IIRC. You need various sized backing plates in order to switch them. You use whichever size is best suited for the panel that you're polishing - whether compounding or finishing, it doesn't matter what pad size you use so long as it is the best for the panel.

Coincidentally I've had the rotary out earlier today removing some scratches from a front bumper, and I was using the 3" spot pads. I used a light cut pad first with some heavy cut compound, then just switched the pad to a finishing pad and used a fine finishing polish. Didn't change machines or pad sizes, only the type of pad and polish.. this is because a bigger pad would've given me less control over the working area and due to the shape of the bumper, I wouldn't have been working the polish properly as the pad wouldn't have been in full contact with the contours and curves of it

Punto know it all
    Ah I see lol silly me

Cheers for clearing that up, I won't sound stupid when I go back to college now haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12