Thread: 10 weeks without a wash.. Abarth 500

10 weeks without a wash.. Abarth 500

www.magicdetail.co.uk

As per the title! I've just been too busy to get around to doing my own car for just about the past 3 months tbh! In prep for the winter, I re-protected the car and did a 'proper' detail on it back in the last week of September.

I gave it a wash the first free weekend I had in early October, not realising it would be the last chance I had to actually give it a wash until yesterday

What's the purpose of this thread then? Some mug on another forum recently questioned why someone would pay so much to have their car detailed in the first place because "it'll be dirty within 10mins". Yeah, fair point, if you're a complete cleaning novice! Of course, the cars will look like they've been freshly detailed when they are next washed - also the protection is the most important thing, especially at this time of year due to the salt on the roads!

Hopefully this backs up what I say to all my customers, and I hope you agree;

10 weeks worth of brake dust and traffic film..

You would be expecting at least some of the brake dust to have embedded itself into the alloy wheel right? To prevent this however, I used Swissvax Autobahn (Wilky if you're reading, that was the nice smelling stuff I applied with my hands to your wheels!)

A closer look shows no such brake dust has penetrated the surface, it has all been washed away - leaving us with little more than some lovely beading!

Onto the bodywork then.. before...

after..

before..

after..

And my last picture I bothered taking;

So, it's fair to say that by taking your time to fully prepare and protect all surfaces, it does not matter how dirty your car gets between washes, or how long your car goes between being washed - once it has been detailed, it was always keep that 'freshly detailed' look.

Thanks for reading, and have a good Christmas and New Year.

Matt.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto know it all
    i didnt know there was products to protect wheels that well! would it be safe to use on wheels that have been powder coated Matt?

I tend to leave 52 weeks or a service between washes.

You'll get the stealerships standard "Stevie Wonder" complimentary valet then James? Infact, that's being unfair.... to Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Floppydodo View Post
    i didnt know there was products to protect wheels that well! would it be safe to use on wheels that have been powder coated Matt?
    Yes mate, you can use it on all wheels apart from those in a matte finish!
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Its not that bad, they have a few older citizens, one who does wheels, another who does paint etc. Saves me spending 3 man weeks a year polishing some metal

Punto know it all
    what i find really good stuff for those that cant afford to pay for detailing (like me) is greased lightning showroom shine. sounds a bit corny but if you thought 10 weeks of baked on brake dust would be a problem forget that! ive gone 4 months between washing my wheels.
    the key is getting the protection on first. once thats done youre making your own future washes, details, cleans, whatever you call them so much easier and of course youre building up another layer of protection each time. the brake dust just runs off my alloys with this stuff and its none acidic which is quite important to point out.
    some so called wheel cleaners will eat into your alloy and begin to break down the lacquer.
    i discovered GLSS on the Ideal Home channel. Think i paid about £35 for 3 large bottles of the stuff and 8 micro fibre cloths as a package deal. Its actually just as good on bodywork too and around the home on other little jobs.
    you dont have to worry about tar or bird droppings eating through and bonding to the paint. very good stuff and after 1 year i still have 1.5 bottles left so it goes the distance too! great value.

Brummy bummer
    Didn't see you as the Ideal Home channel sort of fella Stu lol.

Punto Enthusiast
    Something my Dad taught me years ago regarding cleaning your car...

People always say things like 'no point in getting the car washed as it's only going to rain again later'...

Well would you say that about cleaning your teeth? i.e Postpone brushing them because you are going to eat more food? No... Why??? Because they will start to rot of course!

Rain or shine, your car likes and needs to be clean