Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the MOT Jan/2012

Changes to the MOT Jan/2012

Copied this from one forum where someone copied it from the ITR forum.

Extremely useful and above all interesting, all facts you should get up to date with so give it a read so you don't get caught out because some aspects may affect some of you guys!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coogy
    a lad on itr forum is a mot tester and has given a heads up regarding the changes to the mot test
    some of these will happen from 1st if jan where they are already test items but the new additions are only an advise for 3 months while NT's get used to checking them.

Inappropriate Repair or Modification.
    basically this to me seems a very wide open hole but it is aimed at anything thats been modified or changed that is not deemed roadworthy. this i think is going to cause problems as everyone has a different view but from some cars i've seen it is needed in some cases like the steering wheel i accidently bent on a corsa recenty when i went over a bump

Position lights. (side lights to the middle class)
    a blue tinge is acceptable as long as it remains white and any "product" on a lens making light output not reasonable from a distance is a fail (this applies to all lights thoughout other sections).
    this was needed to keep up with the times considering how many cars have LED lights, however in my experience some of these cheap LED's do not meet this criteria. spray tinting lights should have been banned ages ago

HID or LED headlights.
    Basically if the leveling or cleaming system doesn't work or impaired then it's a fail.
    i've read lots of posts on this ie 98spec ITR's, the testing criteria clearly reads to me that self leveling and headlight washers must work where fitted, not that these must be fitted with all HID's or LED's

Main beam warning.
    all vehicles after 1st April 1986 must have a working warning light.
    about time IMO

Electrical wiring and Battery
    i'm not putting everything for this as it's a whole new sub section but i'll summerise.
    Battery must be secure and not leaking.
    All wiring must be secure and supported correctly, free from damage and bare wires. (i'll have a field day with all these badly routed amp cables )
    Towbar sockets must be secure and be able to accept a plug, 13 pin euro sockets will be tested for all required lights.
    if you remove the tow ball or it's detatchable and never used the socket will still be tested, only way around it is if the mounting brackets have been deliberatly rendered unusable for future use

Steering control
    Steering locks are now tested and must work, can be removed if another device replaces it. any warning lights showing a steering lock fault will also be checked.

Ball joints
    Dust covers must not be missing, damaged or deteriorated to the extent that they allow dirt ingress.
    a step too far IMO??

Power steering.
    boxes will fail for a significant oil leak.
    these have always been tested anyway so i'm insure why mentioned on it's own, significant is a bit of a subjective term too.
    Hoses rubbing or damaged will fail.
    the fluid level will be checked and fail if it's below minimum.
    inappropriate repair or modification to a power steering component is a fail but remember a previous post i made earlier this year about removing PAS where it's fitted as standard, this was already a fail.
    electric power steering will be checked for warning lights on.

Springs
    as per normal but if it's broken at an extreme end in it's seat then it's only a fail if it impairs it's function or does not locate correctly after jacking up.
    i lol'd at this as i know plenty of NT's will not see this but to be fair it's allowing the continued use of cheap metals that break all the time.

Drive shafts
    inner CV boots are now test items as are support bearings.
    about time in some peoples eyes but i bet it's also to stop confusment with some testers.

Parking brakes.
    Electronic parking brakes will be tested and any warning lights/messages will be a fail.

ABS and ESP
    ESP is now part of the test, all components are checked inc wiring and any warning lights will be checked, on/off switches will be checked for operation.
    ABS now has clarified whats allowed with systems removed, basically everything unless it's part of another component like ABS rings.

Brake fluid
    level warning lights are now checked for, if it's on then it's a fail and also if it doesn't work then thats also a fail

Tyre pressure monitoring.
    fails if it indicates a malfunction, only on passenger cars registered after 1st Jan 2012

SRS
    right all you weight saving resistor cheating bumders.
    all airbags are checked for presence and not obviously defective.
    removing 1 and playing with cheating the system is not allowed.
    warning light is checked to see if it's working and not showing a fault.
    pretentioners are checked to make sure they are not deployed and also load limiters which you won't know what one is :P

Bodywork
    bumpers seem to have made their way in with everything else, even if they were loose before they were never a fail, now they are.

Engine mountings
    another new one, they are checked for presence and deterioration resulting in excessive movement.
    i need to seek furthur clarification on the definition of an engine mounting though considering 2 torque reaction ones on the ITR that are common to disapear.

Seats
    the drivers seat must be able to move forwards and backwards.
    bit unfair IMO but then i would say that having a seat fixed

Doors
    i'm only mentioning this as i was told this week that rear doors are inspected the same as the fronts however looking at the new manual this is not the case. obviously there would be child lock issues so i'll await the outcome on this.

Speedo
    not new, extended to all vehicles
    basically must have one on all vehicles after 1937 and be illuminated when required, not obviously broken.

Exhaust
    listen up chaps, important one.
    For all vehicles that require a full cat test then the cat MUST be present. non of this my cars so clean it passes when my mate stuck it in the back of the wrong car by accident

Fuel pipes
    now checked for damage and chaffing, corrosion still ok unless it's leaking

Drivers view to the rear
    mirrors may be replaced with camera's

the no fixed seat will bugger me up maybe

Punto Lover
    The fixed seat ones interesting? Arnt the TVR's made to measure with a fixed seat???

Im sure anything manufactured as so before Jan will be excempt. It is an interesting one though and one thats been picked up on the most by folk on the internet!

Brummy bummer
    As I said in another thread, my new seats will be adjustable only you'll need a spanner to do so. How are they going to get aorund that? If they don't like it I will just bolt in my old seats the same day I bolt my cat back in lol.

TBH Kyle, thats what it might be.

Seats need to be bolt in, stop people welding seats in maybe? fook knows!

Friendly MOT FTW!

Brummy bummer
    Tbh when I first had the RS done they asked if it had a decat and I said no and they said it would have passed anyway lol. Seems to be getting stricter and stricter though.

Yeah, luckily my Evo is very kind to the environment.

Brummy bummer
    And just happens to have the same emissions as a Yaris? lol.

Punto Lover
    woooow they tighting up here :/ lol

Punto Lover
    Dont think my cars ever seen a MOT test ramp?! emissions test? Whats that??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast