Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy B's Family car

Exactly, it's not just a case of chucking a hellish engine in and reaching 550hp. The reliability is compromised and things get proper expensive.

I remember Jamie saying he always kept 2 spare heads because he kept turning them into banana's because of the amount of boost he was running! Mind you that was 2.2bar and around 600+hp. Still alot can go wrong at that kind of power.
    Last edited by WilkyWay; 17th December 2011 at 18:34.

And at those outputs transmission etc is beyond its operating window, before you now it you're out of pocket by thousands more for RS diffs, new gears and casings and fook off labor charges.

For me: Bigger brakes, preferably the EvoX Alcons, decent coilovers that dont knock after a few thousand miles and thats it, wants for nothing else.

Punto Lover
    speaking to ben at apex the otherday you can get some ohlins coilovers with protective socks to stop the british weather ruining them
    . tbh i looked in to 2.4 but you need a big turbo to get thm breathing. im going to leave it un till summer, speaking to simon norris for a quixk 500/500 car he said go 2.2 with a gt3076r HTA reckons on the road it will be un touchable. and for £8k drive in drive out you get

full 2.2 forged bottom end
    clevite bearings
    new oem oil pump
    manley turbo tuff rods
    norris spec je pistons
    cosworth extreme head bolts
    cosworth HG
    injectors stage 3 head with 1mm over size valves
    v band gt3076r kit
    he reckons not much will touch you and fulll boost by 3500-7800,

Firsr steps are 6 pot APs and some ohlins all round and a proper set up. but do i go for 365mm disc which require 18s. then get familiar with the power.
    Last edited by andy b; 17th December 2011 at 19:04.

Dosnt seem a bad price.

Simon Norris has carved out a nice niche for himself in tuning and Evo's and I respect that. Alot of money, the MLR is a good resource but only good to a point, you can hardly find any dirt on anybody on that forum which is a shame considering its an open resource! Strange you cant find many bad opinions or experiances on there considering when you meet other MLR users all they want to talk about is who shafted who, who built what and what broke and how much someone was out of pocket etc.

You will, but I'll say it anyway, just do your research and be sure you're going the right person. Norris is a long way for you, plenty of other traders between you and him and some I would say have impecible reputations.

Ohlins are great, super expensive and notable for needing rebuilds quite often though, itself also expensive. I would consider Nitron 1way adjustables or TEIN.

Brummy bummer
    Or KW...

Looks crap and slow Andy. Not as if I'm jealous or anything

Punto Lover
    Apex are based in Braford and with 2 year warrenty so many choices with the Evo unlike the punto. type evo in google and every on wants to forge you engine with a 1000bhp turbo.

TRL- no go for me ive sen matt blowup things on his rollers.
    FQ-no go
    Indigo-no go
    Aptuning are a good company
    just got a big choice

APtuning have a good rap, and work closely with Ross Sport, they use the MLR to their advantage though.

EvoTune where Simon goes have a good rap, heard nothing bad.

MG Autos, were very popular and still are though had a couple of high profile issues with some customers.

NR Autosport, doesnt faff with the MLR, only works on Evos and is ex mitsubishi sensor technician. His cars have won many races and series, notably TA this year with no engine or transmission failures at 850hp... Norris' old Evo 3RS race car... chassis built at NR I heard

Dont really know about Apex.

Punto Lover
    ill do my brakes and suspension first mate than go from there

Punto know it all
    looks nice andy i quite like evo's in silver

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    His name is Bren, not ben lol. Apex are the leading 200sx parts stockist, they're also the uk agent for k sport, BC coilovers, and now I believe ohline too.

AP Tuning have an awesome rep in the 200 world. Dan you remember the s/charged v8 200 that I posted up, APT built and mapped that car.
    Last edited by Todd; 18th December 2011 at 01:02.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast