Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new daily whip rx8

Punto Sports Club Member dru1989's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sicskate View Post
    Good progress, I hope you didn't pay too much for the car due to the amount of work you have done.
    cheers mate hopefully it wont be to much longer till its running, cost of the car wasnt to bad, but the whole things turned out to be a bit more expensive than i planned.

well i might aswell let you all know the wheeler dealer total:
    car incl. delivery was £1850
    recon engine £2718
    genuine clutch kit £326
    total £4894
    still gotta buy service parts so i guess its going to come in around the 5k mark.
    but to put it in comparison rotechniks where i brought the engine sell rx8s for 5.5-6k with their new recon engines fitted, so ive saved a few quid in a sence.

i could have saved a grand or so with a used engine or rebuilding myself, but if i did that i would be wanting to sell the car straight away and recoup my money. way im doing it hopefuly i can have a year or two of trouble free motoring and still have a good car to sell at the end of it.

we have a blue one of these at work trade in 2005 plate 32,000 miles full service history and 1 owner they only wanted 2,800 for it
    ALL GENUINE FIAT PARTS AVAILABLE AT TRADE PRICES TO PSC MEMBERS
    WE ARE THE 2ND LONGEST SERVING FIAT DEALER
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...38#post1311438

Got the engine built back up and hopefully it can go back in tomorrow providing Mazda have the right clutch for me this time.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Punto know it all
    Wow 5k.......... it's getting into serious money now........ are you gonna keep it, or get rid as fast as you can?

Surely this was not worth starting!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Stavros View Post
    Wow 5k.......... it's getting into serious money now........ are you gonna keep it, or get rid as fast as you can?
    will certainly be keeping it for a while, hopefully il be driving it before the tax runs out on my fiesta at the end of this month. cost a fair bit more than i planned but had i just wanted to get rid i could have spent less on a used engine or just started breaking the car.

Quote Originally Posted by gttmb View Post
    Surely this was not worth starting!
    you could say that and its exactly what my mechanic said when i got it. mind you he said the same thing for the punto and that never stopped me.

bit of a belated update, but the cars been up and running since the start of the month and has covered 200miles so far. originally had some grief getting the car to fire up, was cranking had compression and spark, and fuel was getting to the rails but wasn't being injected. in the end it turned out that one of the connectors in the ecu case was loose and it fired right up after.

on the whole it drives perfectly but there's a couple of teething problems for me to sort out still, got a coolant leak from one of the heater hose's that will be replaced today, and the engine management lights been on a few times due to a misfire in the rear rotor, already has new plugs and leads, and brought a new set of coils yesterday that will fingers crossed cure that problem.

For the past month or so ive been feeling a bit of loose play in the front suspension while driving hard, but because everything looked good when I fitted the engine and it passing its mot I put it down to worn bush's and put off investigating it.
    Started making a nasty crunch the other day when using full lock so decided I better take a look to find the anti roll bars linkage is broken and missing the bar that joins the two ball joints lol.

Bottom ball joint came out nice and easy but the upper one was a bit of a pig.

Got dark so just did the damaged side and will replace the drivers side when I get around to changing the engine and gearbox oil.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Brummy bummer
    Love that the engine oil outlives the actual engines on these, nice touch by Mazda lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast