Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrado VR6 Detailing

Punto Lover

Corrado VR6 Detailing

Pinched from OJC but what a job

Hi, some older work here but one that involved lots of photos so thought i would share. This VW Corrado VR6, owned by a lovely couple, had sadly been left to sit on a driveway for some time and was in need of some tlc!

The car arrived to me at 6am on a cold winters morning late last year. Arriving by trailor as it required more than just detailing to get this car back on the road and the owner only wanted to put his trust into 1 company to handle the project rather than transfer the car to various places himself.

So, this was the VR6 on arrival

]

One of the items not working was the central locking

Continuing around the car

The heating system was broken and had been 'looked at' before

[/QUOTE]

]

To begin with a new battery was fitted as the old one was finished

After a good jet wash, the car was snowfoamed twice and then washed using the 2 bucket method and shampoo plus. It was then clayed, washed again and dried. Taken into the garage to be inspected and a report was produced regarding the paint on the car. The owner decided that no paintwork was to be done despite several areas really requiring this. It was unknown at this point what further issues there could be with the car and the priority was to return the car to be useable on the road. The wheels were not cleaned as they were to be removed and refurbished

I then proceeded to bring the paint back to life using the Makita rotary, menzerna 3.02 and a Sonus cutting pad with smaller pads where required

[/QUOTE]

Punto Lover
    ]

Once this was complete, the interior required a basic clean so the car could be made ready to go to the mechanics.

Everything was cleaned with APC and hoovered

The hubs and calipers were to be painted black so were scrubbed with a wire brush as preperation

Once the car arrived at the mechanics, everything was inspected and another report produced on what the car required to pass an MOT and even be able to start and run, as currently it was struggling to do so! The following work was carried out:

Oil filter
    Air filter
    Fuel filter
    Cabin/pollen filter
    Spark plugs
    Brake fluid
    6.0l of premium oil
    Inner cv boot
    Suspension stabiliser links x 2
    Suspension wishbone assemblies x 2
    Brake compensator valve block
    Rocker cover gasket
    Front suspension top mounts x 2
    Barke pipes/unions
    Front track rod end
    Interior heater module replaced as was previously attacked and most of it was broken. Trying to get one from a non air con model wasnt an easy task
    Coolant flush

Unfortunately the owner could not recall where the locking wheel nut key was, so these had to be removed and a new set purchased, with key! At this point the wheels were sent off to be refurbished.

Things were going well and the car was started for the first time. Sounding much more healthy, especially for a car with over 160k miles, the injectors were also then cleaned out which also improved the smooth and responsivness. Trouble occured at this point when the passenger footwell became wet, the heater matrix was gone! Which involved the interior then looking like this to replace it!

Once this was replaced, the car was road tested. It was hoped that the discs would clear up after some driving but they had also had it. New discs were fitted at the front and new pads all round, the front discs were then repainted black. The front passenger wheel bearing was also replaced as this had some play in it and was causing a vibration through the gear stick area of the console

With the mechanics now over, it running and driving like a totally different car, and a fresh MOT, the car returned to me. An electrician was now called out to repair the central locking and also the motorised rear spoiler which failed to go upright at 50mph. Both tasks completed whilst i investigated the stereo not working which turned out to be a missing fuse. The wheels were ipa's down and poorboys wheel sealant was applied in 2 coats.

[/QUOTE]

Tools taped up to protect the wheels as they were re fitted

The engine bay was then degreased using APC and engine & machine cleaner, various brushes and lots of elbow grease. The plug cover was looking very tired and stained. This was removed and painted to freshen it up

With so much work being done to the car in this time, it was washed again and then polished with menzerna 106fa and a 3m polishing pad

As time was available the paintwork was then machined again using menzerna 85rd and a 3m finishing pad

Returning to the interior, all carpets were wet vac'd and hoovered. Plastics were cleaned again with APC and dressed with natural look dressing. The leather was cleaned with gliptone and conditioner applied twice over 2 days. Glass was polished inside and out. All door and boot rubber seals were treated with bumper care

The front grill was removed, fully cleaned and dressed. The VW and VR6 emblems had badly corroded so these were also painted front and rear

[/QUOTE]

The tyres were dressed with 2 coats of endurance gel and inflated where required

The exhaust was polished

Exterior plastics were treated with bumper care. The paintwork then had swissvax cleaner fluid applied and buffed off. This was followed with Swissvax best of show wax

These were the final pictures taken before the car was delivered back to the owners. This was a car which the lady had had from teenage years. Both of their reactions were amasing This was a really interesting project to be involved in and was a car which i know created lots of happy memories from the past. Hopefully now those memories will continue.

[/QUOTE]

]

Thanks for looking,

Christian

Invisible Touch Detailing
    Web: www.invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk
    Phone: 07876 166 077
    Email: christian@invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk

Follow me on Facebook

Awesome just fooking awesome!!!

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Awesome just fooking awesome!!!
    Looks spot on dont it Vern? I bet they were more than chuffed when he took that back to them, its showroom condition.

Honestly mate i was open mouthed at condition pre and post valet, your right it looks show room they must have cried when they saw it lol

Attention detail is insane

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Honestly mate i was open mouthed at condition pre and post valet, your right it looks show room they must have cried when they saw it lol

Attention detail is insane
    Yup i do love a good detail thread

Punto Lover
    Awesome work!

Punto know it all
    WOW! thats a fantastic turnaround

They've done a great job with that! It's actually more rewarding to get involved in a job like that and totally transform the car (like I did on the 530d last winter) than it is doing stuff that's nearly new and already in decent condition. Thanks for sharing this with us mate
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Out of interest Matt how much would that job cost the owner of that VW?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast