Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwood

Norwood

I've had a bungalow for a little while, bought it as a bit of an investement and also as a project to eventually live in.

This is copy and pasted from another forum so up until today goes quick..

03 August 2011
    Thought I would keep this out of the projects section, leave that for the motors.

Norwood is the name of the bungalow I bought 6 weeks ago, we got it for a steal the plot and the location has loads of potential. But, to say it needs work is an understatement!

Not very exciting stuff ATM, but will be good to follow if you're into property development.

This is how it looked when we first got the keys....

Gonna keep the kitchen in

And the bathroom!

Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2

Lounge

Bills already!!

First job was to tackle the garden. We needed to get the big trees out before the building inspector came, they can kick up a fuss if they think trees should have a presevation order on them.

View from the tree...

Hey sheeps!

Also needed to dig out the foundations for the inspector to come out and see how much we can build on it.

And this is how it stands tonight. Garden is just about cleared, it seems to have grown in size 100% since we've cleared it.
    And the logs saved for the wood burner.

Drained it all off and ripped the kitchen and bathroom out...

Hard to believe someone was living in it until just a few months ago!

Initial plans are to build another half a story and then into the loft space, it will be a better use of space than turning it into a dorma bungalow.

Seeing our planner on Friday night because he's finished the plans. I will update with what he's done for us.

05 August 2011

Been to see our planner tonight, he's done the first versions of what we want. We've made a few changes but this is generally what it will hopefully be like... Excuse the pap pictures.

And the most important one

21 August 2011

Small update. Plans have been edited, finalised and submitted for permission or refusal.

Made a few changes, these are the finalised versions...

Been all round the north east to different merchants trying to get a good brick match, think i've got one fairly close anyway. It's the closest it's going to get. They kept looking at me like I was some sort of 'tart bringing a brick from 1930 into try and get a match
    This is the closest I've got....

Spent a few hours in the garden again today, chopping a couple more trees and chopping logs and sprting them into nice little piles ready to burn!

And the builder has been back in touch. For all of the demolition, rebuild, roof, studd walls in the extension, full garage and floors...............£16k, plus materials of course.
    And then another £3,300 when it's been first fixed to board up, floors down, insulation and skimming the whole house.
    So it's actually worked out cheaper than I thought bulding wise.

Anyone wanna buy an Evo?

23 August 2011

Done another full day today.

Went with the intention of getting the garage down...

Started by getting all of the sh1te out, and pulling the asbestod off the roof....

It be gone!

Decided to get rid of the huge tree in the front garden...

Then it also be gone!

Also, my flag has arrived for the garage wall

22 October 2011

Not updated this in a month or so, mostly because there hasn't been much going on. We've been waiting for planning permission for the design, whihc has now been granted.
    The only trouble we had was they asked for a bat survey to be done on the property, as there is a known bats roost within 300m of the house. It was all clear anyway.

So we have permission for the design, had building reg's plans drawn up which we're waiting to be approved also. But theres nothing to stop us getting started.

Only thing we did before today since the last update was pull down the holly tree in the front garden to make more room for the drive and better access for the building materials etc to get in.

Today is when the real work started, the builder is wanting to start next week. As the roof is asbestos we had to get rid of it before he starts.

So this is how we started the day, hoilly tree gone....

And garage gone....

I shimmy'd up the ridge tile and perched myself against the chimny and started from the top...

Half way through, once we got 2/3 of the way down the roof our lass and the mother in law could help from the inside, they're only 4 ft 2 each

#Then 2 0r 3 hours later it was all off and in boxes ready to be taken to the special poisonous roof tile tip...

Dutty loft!

That's all for now, lots of updates to come in the coming weeks when the building starts.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    nice wilks. well done.

Punto know it all
    Good stuff, when are you hoping its completed or are you not too bothered?

We get married in July, we're aiming for then but I hope it will be done before that.
    It's quite a while but apart from the structural building work, and roofing i will be doing it all myself. With the help of family and friends of course.

Punto Enthusiast
    Nice work,Gonna look well nice.

I know a decent gas engineer, not 1 of those northern bodge monkeys you see everyday on homes from hell

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by WilkyWay View Post
    We get married in July, we're aiming for then but I hope it will be done before that.
    It's quite a while but apart from the structural building work, and roofing i will be doing it all myself. With the help of family and friends of course.
    argh congraz dude!! its looking alright mate bit of work then its how you want it!! funny enuff im looking into something like this up in northampton really cheap but need work doing to it

Punto Lover
    nice project!

wel be making my own home project tread in a few weeks then
    as we also bought a house with alot of work on it.

so wil be watching this to have some info out of it.

here in belgium a bungalow is made out of wood and u cant live in it , only for holiday. and it cant be u only adress.

so for me u bought a real house

succes with it

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    I've read this somewhere before

Your still a pussy for not buying that 4 poster ramp

Punto know it all
    Looking good!

Glad my bungalow wasn't in that condition when I got it, would take me a week just to get the roof off!

Although my neighbour has been doing similar work to you, but he's been at it 4-5 years now.

Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast