Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New tv choice.

Punto know it all
    LED
    Full 1080p.. don't go for one that upscales
    100hz upwards IMO and a nice viewing angle too

Samsung are pretty good for the money I think, the smart tv's versions are nice what with getting You Tube and games on them etc, the network stuff for shareing photos, vids & music on the TV over the network is good when u have the family around for photo slide shows ect

I'd leave 3D for a bit, give the technology time to improve and develope a bit more and prices will also come down as more 3D content becomes out there.

I'd have a look at Dixons online, I've found some things to be cheaper compared with Currys etc... almost £100 on my TV
    Last edited by Andy C; 19th October 2011 at 15:34.

Gearbox Abuser
    Has to be panasonic, 5 year guarrentee and excellent quality.

Do not buy a LG or samsung as there cheaply made piles of ****! My family own a electrical shop, so speaking from a sellers prospective and not from someone who decided cheaper was better.

Punto know it all
    Agree with Samsung equipment, I am always dubious around it, have had and heard of many bad experiences, although it is still very popular due to promotions.

I have a Grundig 1080P LCD which is now almost 5 years old and has been excellent. When I got it a decent 1080P TV was still going for £1500-£2000 not the main stream prices of today.

People always comment on how sharp the picture is, the menus are easy to use and it has never missed a beat. Despite being more of a 'budget brand' I still paid a considerable amount for it as prices were so much higher then for good LCD tv's.

I don't even know if they are about anymore as they were taken over.

Also highly recommend Pioneer.

Punto know it all
    I think our current is a 32" toshiba regza?, nothing wrong with it, only a few years old. We just want something a bit bigger to stick on the wall this time.

So what spec/ pixels should I be looking for??

I've always had samsung for the past 10yrs or so and the only problem i've ever had was the rear projection tv. All my LCD's have been fine.

As for pixels you want 1920 x 1080 and the higher the Hz the better, picture refreshes a lot quicker the higher you go.

Brummy bummer
    I have a 1920x1080p 100hz Samsung LED (forget which model) and it's a cracker if I do say so myself. It has all that games and Youtube, network connection and stuff that Andy was talking about, but I've never used any of it!

Last TV was a Sammy too and again it was great, no problems.

Ive got an LG LCD 1080 HD 200HZ ect its the bollox now its paired with Sky HD, cant fault it tbh

I wouldnt bother with 3D either, i hate the glasses and the technology will move on where you wont need the specs.

Punto Enthusiast
    Speaking from a repairs viewpoint, I would go for either Samsung, which we have, or LG.

However, please do not be misled by the whole LCD or LED argument. A TV advertised as LED still uses an LCD screen, it is merely the backlighting that utilizes led bulbs, as opposed to CCFL (like fluorescent tube) lighting.

My advice is to pop down to your local Comet/Currys/Dixons, which ever, and basically use your eyes. Pick which works best for you, as everybody sees the pictures differently.

Gearbox Abuser
    You repair TVs? And you recommend LG or samsung?! Are you crazy? Money permitting panasonics are in a different league when it comes to quality and reliability.

Punto Enthusiast
    You are kidding, right?

Some of the worst, along with Sony, gear it has ever been my misfortune to work on!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast