Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mugen RR FD2

When the tyres are warm and brakes are up to temp, no big Manchurians or Ape-man passengers it will stop on a tuppence, Its the icing on the cake and its party piece I guess.

Imagine a little hatch with big brakes could stop sooner, but not as well fo'shiz ma niz!

Brummy bummer
    Lol made me giggle reading that lot. I'm stuck with a Ford so unbiased, and I'd still have an Evo IX over an FD2, even if the FD2 was supercharged. IMO FD2's are just NOT worth the money they demand, not like EP3's which are a bargain atm imo.

I took my mate for a drive the other day to show him the controller and new map and had him sliding out of the seat under cornering and trying to wrench the seatbelt from his neck under braking. Funniest thing I've seen in ages. I would say the AP's are far better on the road with DS2500's than DS3000's, you just can't get enough heat into them.

For reference, I slayed 2 x mk1 Focus RS around Donny on my last trackday in the DC2. FD2 owns the DC2 in the modern era. Get out of the thread and back to 2bar of boost you Ford fanboi with yer gay brakes
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Brummy bummer
    Jealousy is a terrible thing Mathew. How could I forget you are a driving God I beat a Ferrari 360 round a corner once in my Fiesta so all Fiesta's must be faster than all Ferrari 360's, true fact!

Once could be considered 'luck' but to do 2 of them on the same trackday, several times over?! come on maaaan!

FD2's command a premium purely because there's less of them about. EP3's are disgustingly cheap now, and you're quite right, a real bargain for the car you get. I have even seen them as low as £2500 for high mileage early models
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Brummy bummer
    Makes sense, everything you or your old fella has had is better than everything anybody else has had

My opinions aside, the DC2 is a better car than the mk1 RS, hence its moniker as the "greatest fwd drivers car of all time". If the mk1 FRS was the greatest, surely it would be dubbed as such, but it isn't and it was tested in the same article IIRC Not had an FD2 either, so your statement is false.

Was dwelling on this thread yesturday on my drive home in a diesel Floatus..

Alot of people think Clarkson talks tripe but hes always good for a laugh. I'll just drop this here, brings a tear to mine eye

If you’re going to buy a roadgoing rally car, you have to have the best, you have to have the fastest. And that’s the 340.
    It’s not just faster than the other Evos, either. It’s also faster than its Subaru rival.

In fact I’m struggling to think of anything that could keep up.
    Off the line, even the best four-wheel-drive cars bog down as the wheels refuse to spin, but not the VIII. You give it a bellyful of revs, dump the clutch, and there’s no lag, no chasm. You’re off like you’ve been fired at the horizon by one of Dick Dastardly’s cartoon catapults.

A mere 4.4sec later you’re past 60mph and that means all but the most exotic rivals are left far behind. This car — and remember, it only costs £33,000 — can be mentioned in the same breath as the Porsche Carrera GT and the McLaren Mercedes.

Mitsubishi says it’s limited the top speed to 157mph, but why? I can hardly see Officer Brunstrom or Jonathon Porritt nodding sagely at their public spiritedness. I suspect the real reason is that at 158 the sit-up-and-beg front-end styling would lose its war with the air and the car would run out of puff anyway.

So, yes, the world’s supercars would take it on a long straight, but come on. What long straight? Are you going to take your Ferrari up to 180 on the M27 to make a point? I don’t think so.

And anyway, eventually you’d get off the motorway and the Evo would catch you up again. This is because, when it comes to the business of going round corners the Evo is quite simply in a class of its own.

You turn in and immediately a bewildering array of acronyms awake from their electronic slumber to get you round the bend at a pace that will leave you reeling.

On the previous generation of Evo VIII the all-wheel control (AWC) gave priority at all times to the antilock braking system (super-ABS) which meant that under heavy braking the active centre differential (ACD) and the active yaw control (AYC) were disengaged.

Not any more. Now you can set the attitude of the car under braking and still the yaw moment will be controlled.

Mumbo-jumbo? Not from behind the wheel it isn’t. You fly through corners thinking how in God’s name is this possible. You’re being flung out of the supremely supportive seat, everything that isn’t bolted down is being thrown round the interior, and yet the tyres, which are still just rubber, are hanging on.

All Evos are good at this but the MR FQ-340, perhaps because of the reprogramming or perhaps because it has an aluminium roof to lower the centre of gravity, can make you seriously cross-eyed.
    I urge you with all my heart to beg, steal or borrow one of these things and take it to a quiet road you know well. It will completely redefine your concept of what driving’s all about.

Yep that just about sums up the experience of driving an Evo fast.
    Evo 8/9 for me next year.

Ahhh.. your Facebox status from t'other month

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast