Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a MS1 ecu for a Punto GT

I would say so, Matt you were a one time preacher of how unbalanced the stock bottom end is etc...?

Id say 220 at a push, but the bottom end wont last long churning that out.

Well I dont run around on high boost all day long so if its just spurts, it should be OK.

Adi

I simply wrote a quide to wiring it on the punto making it easier to install, MS is made by enthusiasts and not a company looking for profits.

Maplin does not have the parts to make one!

My friend uses DTA, he paid £1000 and didn't even get a cable to connect to his laptop!

He tuned his car by himself the same as I have, Dta has some features better than MS and MS has some better than Dta.

Still am, Dan. It's only 40% balanced by FIAT. What will happen with Adi's car is, when the revs rise, it will start vibrating and fighting against itself.. probably lose 6 or 7 hp because of it. Balancing the engine helps with revs and reliability. Forged internals gain you NO power, only strength, so that discussion carries no weight I'm afraid.

Dan, you have just given me exactly what I was looking for - the expectations are now only 220hp.. and I have said all along that this MS system may yield an extra 10-15hp if it's mapped properly. Seems like a £400 setup that does the same as a £100 SEB chip to me? Or am I missing something? Oh yes, you can get rid of the AFM so your engine bay looks pretty

Dastek Unichip or SEB ftw.

PS - replace 'Maplins' with 'Tesco Value'
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Its all opinion Pete, and i think people with deverly negative opinion should stop posting in this thread, ruining one of the most useful threads in PSCs history.

People can and have made their own minds up, i could have Omex fitted and mapped for £1250 locally however i wish to try MS myself and live happilu ever after.

Everyone is aware of facts and can make up their own mind, little need to keep trolling over the same pedantic points now!

Well done Pete, Gold Star for you!

Matt: On a full build, MS could allow you to map a 1400 to 300hp though, theres the benefit, if people dont foray in to the unknown then young men will still be using SEBs in 20years.

I agree.

Now see my sig.

But also remember I am a realist, and me and Hans (despite a volatile relationship) share the same opinion on value for money tuning, and that is something the SEB cannot be beaten at for the time being. 220hp @ a cost of £400+ on management, or £100 plug and play for 210hp. Having the bigger number is only good for willy waving in the Pub.. I'll take my 190 and layeth the smack down all over a 220hp GT around any circuit in the UK.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

This is all pointless until the results are seen.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

You pick up one the one thing that I know makes now power in itself, forged pistons. They only allow you to run more boost / run slightly leaner to make power as they can take more heat.

How about commenting on the head, its obviously a restriction, aswell as the cam.

"All" these 220bhp seb4 puntos, run lean high up. The engine is more stressed, hotter becasue of running leaner. Your telling me they are going to last longer?

Adi

Couldn't agree more Chris, and I said as much in an earlier post when I said I'm happy to be proven wrong by Adi or anyone who's running an MS.

I do know that over the next 12 months we'll be seeing a 1600 on DTA, and could (if the owners desire) compare that to another 1600 currently in production which is due to be running on Mega "Tesco Value" Squirt.

Adi, you're sounding like a football manager now - blaming anything and everything you can to avoid embaressment. Forged pistons in themselves DO NOT net you any more power, they simply add strength to the build, and with strength comes more boost and power. We'll be comparing your engine pre/post MS.. i.e run it at 19psi and see how you fare up against your SEB result at the same boost. Crank

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast