Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a MS1 ecu for a Punto GT

Seems like it'd be a good idea to give the mega manual a good read Gez.

No doubt a sound understandint is needed.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by GezGT3
    i dont know, do i?
    Depends if you want to use a Dawes Device or if you want the MS to control boost. I bought the boost kit but haven't fitted it as yet, not sure if I will. Evil is using it iirc.

You said earlier you wanted to control boost so add the boost control mod kit, add the boost control solenoid and the wiring pigtail for the solenoid.

I am using boost control, mapped boost to throttle position and revs, less throttle=less boost, good for wet corners.

Punto Lover
    1*x USB to Serial Adapter - Works with MegaTune!
    1*x MegaSquirt-I Programmable EFI System PCB3.0 - Kit w/ BLACK CASE
    1*x MegaSquirt Tuning Cable (DB9 Straight Thru)
    2*x MegaSquirt Wiring Bundle - 23" Long
    1*x PCBv3 -- PWM IAC Valve Control (TIP120) 'Mod-Kit'
    1*x Bosch BIP373 Coil Driver Mod Kit
    1*x MapDaddy 4 Bar MAP Sensor with Barometric Correction[/QUOTE]
    1*x boost control mod kit
    1*x boost control solinoid
    1*x wiring pigtail for boost control

is the PWM IAC for idle control?

Dr Evil's megasquirt thread

Dr Evil - you are a bad, bad man you are not gonna help my bank balance in any way shape or form!!! lol
    excellent thread by the way, only came across it wednesday and have read it three times already and cross referenecd with the DITAutoTune site as well, and i have a couple of questions/queries that i'm hoping you (or anyone else) can help with......
    from all the reading i have been doing i have come to the conclusion that a wideband o2 sensor is also required along with the list of parts that you have compiled, am i correct in thinking this?
    also, just really an opinion wanted really, i'm not looking at going all out silly power (yet) but am intrigued by your thread and want to have a crack at building 1 myself, (was it as much fun as it looked?) cost implications aside, is it worth going stand alone management, with only a view at sort of SEB2 power? think what i'm trying to say is, is there much benefit on having that much more control over fueling etc compared to the standard/SEB 2 chip to warrant fitting it?

thanks in advance, and much gratitude for a pleasurable and informative read

thanks again

steve

Southern Events Organiser danmotty's Avatar
    dean was saying this to me a few weeks ago that he would go MS on SEB2 because you can get rid of things that cause a problem such as AFM ICV etc.

you then have the abilty to map it to any mod you get. its not economic to go stand alone but worth it if you have the money id say, even just for pure flexability in the future.

will easily save the money invested in MS on busted OE components after a few years anyway.

good point, hadn't thought about it like that -

i really am itching to build one

where's me xmas list ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by danmotty
    dean was saying this to me a few weeks ago that he would go MS on SEB2 because you can get rid of things that cause a problem such as AFM ICV etc.

you then have the abilty to map it to any mod you get. its not economic to go stand alone but worth it if you have the money id say, even just for pure flexability in the future.

will easily save the money invested in MS on busted OE components after a few years anyway.
    I think MS on 170hp is pointless from a monetry point of view.

£300-500 to goto full seb2 was it ? chip equated £100 in this. 170hp max goverened by turbo.

Adding MS means you'll more likely **** it up since your not all mapping experts. You'll more spend more fixing what you break. To be honest there isnt the experience on here of a few million miles running on mapped MS to safely say it'll save you money in the long run when other parts go wrong.

I think I completely disagree with everything you say actually at Seb2 level.

From what I've seen, the Maplins ECU idea falls somewhere between full blown standalone - like a DTA, which is ~£1500 to do properly - and SEB4. The latter is tried, tested, and almost guaranteed to net you over 200hp. The former however, we're yet to see conclusive results from, and you're severely limited as to who can map the ECU properly, and good enough to make the car both fast and reliable. This is important when factoring in the costs.. nobody wants to do a 400 mile round trip to have their car mapped and only gain 10hp over a plug and play generic chip that you can have delivered to your door and fit yourself.
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

i can both see where you are coming from but surely, if a few more people arent willing to experiment and rack up those tried and tested miles then the punto will always be tuned to the SEB?
    To quote 'If you simply send your ECU off to a chipping company who is supposed to load a map on your car that was NOT designed specifically for your car on a dyno by a qualified tuner then you are simply not going to get the maximum performance possible out of the engine. They simply can't do it-- they have to make alot of assumptions with no scientific testing on YOUR car.' surely apart from the sending off - that is basically what the SEB is?
    people need to go into stand alone management with their eyes open - i have done alot of reading the last few days to try and understand it a little more, and it intrigues me, and i'm not necessarily worried about getting anymore power out of it (at the moment) but to be able to have the control to moniter/tweak everything right through the rev range surely must be a good thing???

steve

ps. Mr Hans, no offence meant in regards to SEB comment, i'm running on 1 now, and its doin me proud

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast