Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a MS1 ecu for a Punto GT

Punto Lover
    megasquirt is an opiton for me at the moment.
    if i got it id want to buy the ecu ready made with all the correct stuff to fit to the punto. i know ill need to make a loom but i cant build an ECU!!
    looking through diyautotune.com and i just cant find what i need or anything.
    Pete/Nick/Adi, would one of you kindly make a shopping list of what i need on the site and post the link up here for me? any help much appriciated. Gez

Punto Lover
    IIRC Adi priced up the kit fully assembled.

The ECU itself assembled is this one http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-56.html then you need a couple of additions for the idle control, coil driver, the MAP sensor upgrade and boost control if you want it.

As you say it would be worth ordering the cabling at the same time (if you do decide to order from them let me know as I'm after a wiring pack from them ;P)

I suspect that it would be a case of contacting DIY Autotune and telling them which kit you want and what options you want included and they will then be able to give you a price.

I'm amazed at the hard work you've put in here Peter.

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to this sorta thing so if I did, I'd probably buy it fully assembled.

Have you had your car on the RR yet?
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

I havn't had mine on the RR but I managed a consistant 14.2 standing quarters that rival the best ever 14.2 I managed on seb 4.1.

I'm not on the rollers untill I have built my new engine.

Oh that's a shame. Would be good to see.
    1997 Fiat Punto GT Abarth - being restored
    2014 Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake

What was difference other than ms to seb spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans
    What was difference other than ms to seb spec?
    330cc Injectors but it only effected my duty cycle, standards were getting up near 100% but the mixture was not getting lean. I since learned that max duty cycle comes round max torque and power then as it revs higher less duty is needed.

Also just road tuned by myself and I have never tuned a car before in my life, Lol

Punto Lover

need info for megasquirt

i emailed DIYautotune and asked for a list of parts and prices, i got this reply

So im afetr some help with some of the questions asked. if you know an answer please write in RED under the question so its clear. thanks in advance.

I'll be glad to help you spec a system for your car, but I'll first need some information from you as I unfortunately don't have hands on experience with every car out there. Below is a list of the questions I will generally need answers to in order to assist with this. You can find this information in service manuals for your car/engine, on message boards and enthusiast sites, or sometimes by tearing into your ride and looking. Also, you can take a look at our "Where do I start?" section at http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#wherestart so that you have a pretty thorough understanding of the MegaSquirt line of Engine Management Systems and you may find that you've answered your own questions by the time you've done this. At any rate these are some of the questions you will need to ask yourself, and that I would need to know the answers to in order to be able to assist you: (Please try and answer all questions as the two most people skip (4&5) are the most important for ignition control!)

1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too. Fiat Punto GT turbo, 1997, 5speed manual

2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example? Fuel, igniton and boost

3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?) 1400cc, 4cyl, 8valve, turbocharged,176B6 engine code

4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?) Magnetti Marrelli, Bosch motronic 2.7, CAS located on crank pully

5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)

6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug? 4way coil, wasted spark

7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?

8. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can. i rate myself 4, could build a car, just not the electrics lol

9. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU? Pre-assembled ECU

10. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system?

Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great! If you can cut and paste the above list into an email and answer all questions, it would be very helpful to me. Once I have that information, I can draw up a complete list of what parts you will need. Thanks, Matt CramerDIYAutotune.com Technical Support Please quote your previous emails when you reply, as this will help me look up what we have been discussing and respond to you faster.

You need one extra ignition driver over standard as you will be firing twin coils wasted spark so need two ignition drivers: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/b...kit-p-230.html

The crank trigger is 60-2 toothed wheel using a VR sensor - No mods needed here.

Idle control valve has 3 wires and needs: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/p...t39-p-134.html

For boost control add: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/p...kit-p-160.html

I suggest you get a better map sensor as max on the standard is 1.5bar boost:http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ion-p-117.html

1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too. Fiat Punto GT turbo, 1997, 5speed manual

2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example? Fuel, igniton and boost

3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?) 1400cc, 4cyl, 8valve, turbocharged,176B6 engine code

4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?) Magnetti Marrelli, Bosch motronic 2.7, CAS located on crank pully60-2 Wheel with VR sensor

5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?) 60-2

6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug? Coil pack needing 2 ignition drivers to run wasted spark

7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type? 3 Wire Needing a PWM mod Kit

8. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can. i rate myself 4, could build a car, just not the electrics lol

9. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU? Pre-assembled ECU

10. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? NO

Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great! If you can cut and paste the above list into an email and answer all questions, it would be very helpful to me. Once I have that information, I can draw up a complete list of what parts you will need. Thanks, Matt CramerDIYAutotune.com Technical Support Please quote your previous emails when you reply, as this will help me look up what we have been discussing and respond to you faster.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast