Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shocked with my paintwork

Banned
    make sure u get some picks up chet! now you know the correct procedure

when i wet sanded my bonnet to get the **** off my mate used a megs da on the slow speed setting with some 3m 240 grit paper really fine to take the just remove the stain worked a treat and the we used a waffle pad with some cutting compound and brought it back up a treat!

Don't you mean 2400grit 240 is the stuff you use on wooden doorframes between coats of gloss!! The lowest you'd ever use on a car is 800-1000grit. Any coarser and you'd not be able to remove the sanding lines. By hand you can ensure an even pressure throughout each stroke, which is why its more effective than by DA. On Fiat's soft paint I'd like to bet I could find some lines or holograms left behind by the sanding, compounding or both
    If you have any car care related questions, ask me in the Cleaning/Detailing section.

Punto Lover
    Lovely shine! looks brand new.

Is it just me who shudders at the term to "mop" a car? ughhh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Don't you mean 2400grit 240 is the stuff you use on wooden doorframes between coats of gloss!! The lowest you'd ever use on a car is 800-1000grit. Any coarser and you'd not be able to remove the sanding lines. By hand you can ensure an even pressure throughout each stroke, which is why its more effective than by DA. On Fiat's soft paint I'd like to bet I could find some lines or holograms left behind by the sanding, compounding or both
    whoops missed out a zero yep 2400 set to about 2 on the DA, use lots of water as lube came up a treat should have done a few pics! got a few more imperfections to clear up though.

Punto Lover
    I'm not man enough to wet sand my car.

Let me have a go with a DA polisher when I finally get one then I'll take it from there.

Going over the car 3 times was a right pain. The neighbours were wondering what i was doing, one of my neighbours' toddler noticed that the cloth and the bottle was different when I was doing the final waxing stage.

So I let him have my old scalectrix, it was destined for the bin anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123