Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super unleaded vs unleaded

Punto Enthusiast

Super unleaded vs unleaded

What's people's thoughts, anyone notice any real difference using the super?.

To me with my Seb2 i was getting around 5miles+ extra using tesco 99. That was just taking my time hardly going over 3k revs.

Not going to like the 2l 16vt fuel bills tho But now and again i get free tesco momentum fuel

Goody 2 Puntos Coupe 20VT
    Guildford by way of Haddenham, Wilmslow and Rochdale (etc.)
    It has been covered before:
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...d.php?t=120104
    Experiences/opinions vary, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GT3guy View Post
    It has been covered before:
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...d.php?t=120104
    Experiences/opinions vary, though.
    in his post it was more than likely there was water in the fuel tank from the super, that was making his car hesitate!

higher the octane cleaner the Fuel, I.e the more times its been filtered.

Unless your car is mapped to use higher octane fuel you wont see a performance gain.

The extra adiditives may help improve engine condition though.

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Unless your car is mapped to use higher octane fuel you wont see a performance gain.

The extra adiditives may help improve engine condition though.
    This I don't know the answer to yet (need to have it mapped, looking for a good place near me), it has been modified by previous owners it has tt turbo, chipped, piper cam/pulley and some other bits done was told by prev owner that could do with re-mapping so going to get it done so I know what it's running aswell.

If it is better for the engine will give it a go while sorting out getting it mapped though. Thanks

For the sake of pennys I have always used super unleaded, in my last GT you could really tell when the engine came apart it ran well on good fuel, hardly any choke build up etc.

If you run a seb chip it will be mapped on muddy water, same as standard map.

If its mapped to higher octane then you obviously need to use it all the time unless its an emergancy, Mine comes mapped to 98ron standard but we mapped it to 99octane Vpower, when on the continent Shell isnt as common over there, most of France is all Total and their Excellium felt horrible to drive on, definately not as peaky, alot of it proabbly a placebo tbh but still...

So consider that when your having it mapped, higher octane availabilty etc, V-power is often around 6p more per litre for example, it does build up eventually, but if you're not water tight then it doesnt matter, only money!

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    For the sake of pennys I have always used super unleaded, in my last GT you could really tell when the engine came apart it ran well on good fuel, hardly any choke build up etc.

If you run a seb chip it will be mapped on muddy water, same as standard map.

If its mapped to higher octane then you obviously need to use it all the time unless its an emergancy, Mine comes mapped to 98ron standard but we mapped it to 99octane Vpower, when on the continent Shell isnt as common over there, most of France is all Total and their Excellium felt horrible to drive on, definately not as peaky, alot of it proabbly a placebo tbh but still...

So consider that when your having it mapped, higher octane availabilty etc, V-power is often around 6p more per litre for example, it does build up eventually, but if you're not water tight then it doesnt matter, only money!
    Some useful info thanks, no not tight just wether it was worth it or not my other car runs on super because when I bought that they said it always was so carried on putting it in.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    Only Japanese performance cars are already mapped on higher octane fuel. In my opinion, should try and get the car mapped on normal fuel, given the option and then run on the likes of v power to help it along.

Punto Lover
    i have been told for maping, run half a tank of normal shell fuel, and half of optimax, then when its mapped run optimax, dont use morrisons or asda fuel it was proven on th R1 forum is crap and contains high levels of silicone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast