Thread: Detailing cleaning side strips

Punto Lover

Detailing cleaning side strips

Hi Debo,

Thought you can share some info in view of cleaning and restoring the color of the bump strips.

Maybe you suggest any products or a technique?

Cheers

Luke

Banned
    Nothing you can really use mate without stripping some of the red off the best way to do it is use diluted tfr and let it soak for a minute agitate it around the edges then rinse it down then use normal car shampoo, dry it all off and apply some silicone spray to bring up the colour.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPilot View Post
    Hi Debo,

Thought you can share some info in view of cleaning and restoring the color of the bump strips.

Maybe you suggest any products or a technique?

Cheers

Luke
    Hi Luke,

Given the bump strips on a GT are of a satin finish, I would look at using Wolf Chemicals Trim Coat. Washer jets and all other plastic trim can be coated with this stuff. Clean the strips and plastics thoroughly using an all purpose cleaner, make sure they are fully dried, then apply this product.

Quote Originally Posted by seaneyb View Post
    Nothing you can really use mate without stripping some of the red off the best way to do it is use diluted tfr and let it soak for a minute agitate it around the edges then rinse it down then use normal car shampoo, dry it all off and apply some silicone spray to bring up the colour.

Hope that helps
    I don't fully understand this response mate
    Last edited by Debo; 27th June 2011 at 08:21.

Punto know it all
    I think Sean means wAsh them an then spray some cheap tyre shine/back to black on them?

Not my choice of advice.

It was the part about stripping some of the red off which confused me? as the bump strips on a GT are black..

Anyway, I stand by my response above, the Wolf Chemicals Trim Coat should work wonders. The plastic just needs cleaning thoroughly first with an APC.

Punto Lover
    Thanks for your response Debo! highly appreciated.

Banned
    soak with tfr (trafic film remover) aka truc wash.
    aggitate with a brush and then rinse completely.
    wash with normal car shampoo whilst doing the whole car
    dry the panel completely
    use silicone spray or other trim finishing products... i dont use back to black i have autosmart silicone spray which is very good quality and works very well on all trim

yes they are black but gt1 have the red line and gt2/gt3 have the gt badge, with harsh chemicals this could easily be stripped! thats what i was trying to say.

Punto know it all
    use g101it will bring the strips up nice then use PVC cleaner to restore it also try some tango on there to remove the further grime http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autosmart-Tang...-/290467526926

Ahh, I get what you were saying now Sean! Yes, cleaning the side strips thoroughly with either an APC or TFR solution is a must - incorporate this into your wash process. I would not compare Autosmart stuff to Wolf Chemicals though, they are quite far apart in terms of quality.

In the below picture, the drivers side of the bumper is coated with the Wolfs Trim Coat. Look left from the centre of the headlight down. You can see how it is a satin type finish, whereas if you look at the passenger side, it is more glossy (this is a different product).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B3NZARMY View Post
    use g101it will bring the strips up nice then use PVC cleaner to restore it also try some tango on there to remove the further grime http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autosmart-Tang...-/290467526926
    no wayyyy! you would never use this on trim! it will mark the trim. As matt and i said apc (g101) or equivilent tfr then some kind of finishing product, as we both reccomended it just depends on the finish and how much effort you want to put in.