Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratches and chips remody

Scratches and chips remody

FAO Debo

I know Vauxhall paint is fairly soft, well i have a few stone chips i want to try and cover up. I also have a deep scratch which looks like it's been attended to with a touch up pen, aswell as the odd stone chip.

I don't want to go round with a touch up pen and still have a coloured in chip if you know what i mean. Is there anything i could do to build it up so it's a bit smoother? I was thinking maybe put a few coats on at a time and then use some cutting compound later on?

Thanks in advance

Hi mate, thanks for the post!

You're best bet is to begin with a deep clean of the areas that require paint, clay etc to remove as much of the crap out of the existing paintwork as possible. Then you're suggestion sounds perfectly feasible - over fill the damage with excess paint, building it up layer by layer so it hardens right the way through. Then rather than jump straight in with compounding, I would flat the area back using 1500 or 2000 grit paper (wet), refine with 3000grit, so that the effected area is levelled, then do your compounding. To avoid holograms after this phase, use a finishing polish afterwards.

Get some pics up if you try it.

Punto know it all
    Exactly as you have said.

Build the layers up. You could give the chip a tiny flat with 2000 just to give the paint something to grab on to before touching in.
    Also, you could build it up and give it a light tickle with 2000 again before polishing.

Also, saying paint is "soft" is very misleading. Modern (last 10-15years) Factory paint will always have a bit to work with, unless back street Barry has painted it without a booth or anywhere to bake it off.

Cheers Debo, i didn't fancy the wet and dry part as seams quite scary with my heavy hands.

I've got most my stuff ready for cleaning but in 2 minds whether to buy machine polisher or try it by hand. The zafira is a big car so would need a good 8 hours by hand lol

Factory paint is the best to work with tbh, because it's baked properly, it's tougher than you think. I have done some tests with wet and dry paper and a scrap panel to see how much pressure and constant rubbing was required to burn through the lacquer... I was pleasantly surprised.

Vauxhall paint is quite soft, you're right in what you're saying, so if you are worried, just use 2000grit, and use gentle pressure until the excess paint is level with the rest..

For best results you will need to machine polish the finish, doing it by hand will take a long time and be quite hard work on the dulled paint

Quote Originally Posted by sicskate View Post
    Factory paint will always have a bit to work with, unless back street Barry has painted it without a booth or anywhere to bake it off.
    Backstreet Barry... I might use that quote myself in the future

Backdoor Debo is better.

Punto know it all
    Liked purely for the randomness of Hans coming here to start a fight....

Quote Originally Posted by CaL View Post
    Liked purely for the randomness of Hans coming here to start a fight....
    Whenever else does he post?

Punto Enthusiast
    can i just jump in here and say that all an oven does is provide a clean(er) enviroment to paint in and speed up the paint process.
    2k paints and clear coats do not have to be baked to
    harden, all a bake does is speed up the process. 2k paints chemically harden.

ive been a painter over 11 years and have painted inside and outside booths, now i paint outside all year round and have resprayed my own cars in my garage with an extraction fan and no bake. just let them air dry.

yes some may say its 'back street barry' but if your a good painter the quality and durability is there without the need for an oven or bake.

im not having a pop i just thought i would say the facts!

Banned
    good luck with that moz, i'm going to attempt to repair my drivers door as it has a fat key mark along it, with the right prep and good quality paints im sure it will be fine.

do you think its best to use some good quality high build primer on the key mark first? then build thin layers of paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast