Thread: Vids

Punto Enthusiast

Vids

http://www.youtube.com/user/L200Stev...16/kJ-WvDuN6xc

Prob need debo to see if the vids are any good for newbies like me to follow.

I've just had a look at polishing guide 2 (which you have shown) and guide 1 also, and I have to say that I'm not impressed. There were lots of things he was doing wrong IMO. He used too much product, hence the silly amount of dust the compounding was creating, he never kept the pad flat to the panel, he moved the machine too quickly - looked very amateurish.

Take a look at this video for some inspiration - not a tutorial, but shows you the various stages of prepping, polishing, and the finished product.
    Pay particular attention to how he holds the polisher and how it's always perfectly flat to the panels (whichever panel he is working on!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26_z-YhNjE"]YouTube - ‪Polished Bliss: Ferrari 355 F1 Berlinetta Ne Plus Ultra Detail (1080p)‬‏[/ame]
    Last edited by Debo; 5th June 2011 at 20:47. Reason: to add video

Banned
    That video is amazing....id love to get into this properly, looks like I got some serious saving to do

The other thing was the speed aswell, the machine sounded like a single speed machine and it was spinning pretty quickly, probably somewhere around 2500-3000rpm. This is too quick, and one of the various causes of holograms and micromarring generated by the machine.

When maching with a rotary, you use something called the Zenith Point technique, so you start off slow and work your way up the speed and then back down again (like a pyramid).

Regarding the tilting of the pads, that's definately not how you polish, as the pressure of the pad is all weighted to the corner still touching the surface - this gives you various levels of cut and inconsistant results. He was doing it to get right over to the edges by the looks of the vids, this is why it's improtant to consider your choice of pad size for the particular area you're polishing..

Here's a couple of my pictures, the pad should be flat against the surface, like this, and note the different pad sizes depending on where I am polishing;

Just enough to get down the side of the bonnet swage lines, if the gap between the line and the outer edge of the bonnet/wing was any smaller I'd have needed to use a smaller pad.

Intricate areas done with a smaller 'spot' pad.

I'll have to look into doing some vids. It's just time really, the actual machine polishing can take hours on end in its own right without messing around setting up a video camera and then editing it as per the Polished Bliss vid!

Punto Enthusiast
    wheres the best place to get the machine,and pads what sizes do i need etc

Best place for help and advice would be www.polishedbliss.co.uk - they are more a top end company so a lot of their stuff is premium and expensive. I use those guys for certain bits of kit, also bought one machine off them. Got my other machine from local stockists, www.shinearama.co.uk - these are more competitively priced and offer a slightly wider variety of products.

If its just for your Punto, the paint is soft, so something like a 250ml of Scholl S17+ polish, combined with 'Light Cut', and 'Polishing' pads in 150mm and 95mm sizes. I like the new Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads, both suppliers I listed stock them too

Punto Enthusiast
    Yer was gonna try on the tigra first(some paint fade etc),Then the punto.Prob take pics like you do.ill do a detailing thread and post the pics as i go ,and if you could give me some advice if you could on the best way of doing it.

Vauxhall paint is also soft, so it sounds like it wont be as expensive as you first thought - should get away with only having 2 types of pad, in 2 sizes

Definately throw a thread up and show everyone how you're getting on, I am happy to try and help you out too if you get stuck and need some advice.