Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three (3) head-gasket failures on one car...

Three (3) head-gasket failures on one car...

...is more than even I can bear.

So, with some regret, it's no more Puntos for me. Or, at least, no more Mk1 Puntos. Did the head gasket woes continue on the Mk 2 and Grande Punto?

My Sporting died yet again on the M5 on the way to work last week. Luckily I'd changed my insurance only a couple of weeks ago, and added breakdown for the first time. That saved me 250 quid, the breakdown guy said when he eventually arrived.

So I want rid now. I'll put an ad in Classifieds. A real shame cos it was a lovely car to drive.

Punto Lover
    There must be a reason why it keeps going. When was the last time the water pump was changed?

What head gaskets are you using as replacements and also thermostate condition?

There are no real HG 'woes'

They can all go at some point, and then you've either not fixed it right the first, second and third time. Or there is a serious problem, like the block face not being flat or a warped head etc...

Why did it go the first time round?

Punto Lover
    you say the head gasket has gone 3 times now? you sure your not putting the wrong one on?!?! had 2 puntos same engine codes "188A4000" one on an 02 and one on an 06 and the 06 had a steel head gasket....

Well, "I" didn't fix it, either time, it was professionally done. If that's the right term. More precisely, it's two head gasket failures and one engine replacement.

I'm at work now (no internet access at home) and can't check the paper-work now, but from memory the water pump was changed the first time.

Yes, it's conceivable that a wrong gasket was fitted, say, although I'd have thought a cracked or warped head was a much more likely reason. But the fact is, I am where I am. With a car which, if it was running, which it isn't, would only be worth around 500 quid, and on which I have spent at least three times that. I'm sure you understand that I feel the need to call a halt.

And come on, guys, a cursory skim through this forum would suggest that HG failures on Puntos are hardly unknown (yes, I realise they're not unknown on other cars, too).
    Last edited by moto748; 20th April 2011 at 13:23.

Punto Sports Club Member cinquepunto's Avatar
    headgaskets are always going to be a weak link in the chain.

My car is on it's 3rd (that I know of - but the one I broke was due to the fan disintegrating and running low on oil)

the sporting engine though is fairly reliable, at least it's not a rover K series...
    CinquePunto - Five Point Photography
    Like a bulldog eating mayonnaise!...

Punto Enthusiast
    As previously said there are no actual head gasket woes, some go... some do not, I know someone with a mark 1 60s who has never had a head gasket done, My mark 1 75 failed and was repaired, but i didn't have it long enough afterwards to see if it went again or not. I did have one done on my mark 2 8v and 20k it's still fine, waterpump was the issue on mine. my I ask if you have regular services done on your car, i.e. coolant, oil changes, because 9/10 poor servicing can cause them to go, along with a warped cylinder head or not skimmed correctly. Oh I've never heard of a grande punto with head gasket issues, but they use a revised steel head gasket, as does the mark 2b.

Punto Enthusiast
    What do you expect its a punto!

mine sporting is on its original and its done just under 140,000 miles.

oh and it has fsh, 80% by fiat dealer.

just shows what neglect can do to a car really.
    Last edited by beau; 20th April 2011 at 18:14.

Punto Enthusiast
    Wow!My 2 sporting diddn't even last 90 000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast