Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning/detailing newbie

Debo, while on the subject i would like some advice too. I'm not one to spends hours detailing my car and hate getting the pressure washer out.

What would you recommend for wash, dry, polish, poss wax and a quick detailer (spray and wipe), trim & tyre stuff and wheel cleaner. I've not got a clue on what applicator pads or polish pads to get.

The car has some small scuffs and minor swirl marks. If you could make me a shopping list that would be even better lol

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Norro, how did you get on with your order fella? did everything turn up?

If you need any help or advice on application etc then post up in here, I'm sure one of us will be able to help you out

Remember to post some pics of your car before/during/after!!!
    everything turned up fiiiiine!

gave it a shot bankhols friday, came up a treat! still got that shine now! i think im addicted!

i ended up with all poorboys stuff, missed the wheel cleaner tho! grrr! but apart from that, looks amazing!

one quick thing, i need a decent tire dresser, the poorboys one is a bit MEH and goes flat after about 10 mins!

Which tyre dressing were you using mate? The natural look can be used as a tyre dresser, and I have used it before, but all it does really is clean the rubber up so it looks new, there's no gloss to it. I use the Poorboys Bold and Bright when people want more shine, as that gives a long lasting gloss effect. Currently got that on my car and it's starting to wear off now, 3 weeks after application. It's not unreasonable to get 3 or more weeks out of a product like that, wheels and tyres take a beating if you think about it.

Punto Lover
    ive got bold and bright... doesnt seem to do either tbh!

Ah right, ok. Sounds like there's probably something on the tyres that's preventing the B&B from sticking. You're best bet is to use some all purpose cleaner or a degreaser if you have any, and wipe it on the tyres with a microfibre cloth / work towel to remove what you've put on and anything that may be lurking underneath.

The application of the B&B isn't exactly tricky, but if you've never used it before there may be a slight issue there also?!

You should use a sponge applicator and apply an even amount across the tyre. For a duller finish work it right in using medium hand pressure and only give it one coat, for a really bright finish I apply one thin coat and work it in and then a second coat using just light pressure to really give it a shine. Try this second method after you've stripped the tyres back mate, as you should definately get at least a couple of weeks out of it.

Punto know it all
    this is not in the same league as proper detailing but ive tried showroom shine with very good results - good enough for most who like to keep their car looking smart without resorting to clay bars, fancy waxes and snow foams etc. i had the car mopped 18 months ago and now every 6 or 9 months or so i'll polish it up with this stuff. bought it from ideal home (from Greased Lightning) TV about £25.00 plus some their microfibre cloths £8 for 8 - the cloths though arent so good-ive since bought microfibre cloths from poundland and they are much better-a lot softer and come out better after machine washing. the showroom shine lifts bugs and cuts through fallout easy peesy and on metallics you can really bring out the flakes in the paint. it sparkles like new and leaves a glass like finish.

downsides-on the demos the guy just sprays it all over a panel then gets to work. in reality the spray is so fine you send a mist of the cleaning fluid all over the car and if left on it dries and then you have to rub it off but its not as nice to work on as when wet. i spray mine into the cloth and then apply it plus youre not then getting any mist over sections youve just buffed up.

i would still recommend it though but its not designed to revive dull paintwork - you need a good base to start with so worth buying some if youre about to have your car mopped. give it a few months then wang it on. each application also leaves a protective layer on making it easier every time you polish. dont put on windscreens or sidewalls etc.
    Last edited by clarkster; 6th May 2011 at 12:41.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12