Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another BMW to wet your whistle..

Another BMW to wet your whistle..

Hello all,

Not done a write up on here for a while because I've been letting you guys get some gear together and have a crack yourselves obviously the suns out a bit more often now we're moving into summer and shows are about to begin....

This is actually one I did back in early March, just never bothered posting it as I was busy messing around with an F40 and one thing or another

But this one is a good car to show you what can be achieved with some time and effort. More of you are starting to get into proper car care now, which is good. Please get posting your pics in this section to get it moving

So, I started with the interior, paying particular attention to the leather, as that was the area of initial concern.

The interior was vacuumed, all vents dusted with detailing brushes, and the trim was then wiped down with Megs APC, before being protected with 303 Aerospace Protectant. For the leather I used Furniture Clinic Ultra Clean and then the Protection Cream, the following day I came back to it to apply Nanolex Leather & Textile Premium.

After the leather had been treated, I set about tackling the exterior..

I started by rinsing the car to remove the loose dirt, then I snow foamed it and allowed that to dwell for 5mins. After another rinse, I then washed it using the 2 bucket method and an Easirider Lambswool mitt, and Insta-Finish Car Glow Shampoo.

Once that was done, I then “nuked” the wheels. First I used some Bilberry @ a dilution of 4:1, then out came the Autosmart Tardis, and after a thorough rinse I hit them with some Iron-X:

I then applied a layer of Poorboys wheel sealant to the faces.

After the wheels were taken care of and bodywork thoroughly washed, I detarred the car with Autosmart Tardis, I gave it another rinse and then clayed the whole car to remove any bonded contaminants. I was then able to assess the true condition of the paint work.. I took several pictures, but this was as bad as it got.

As the marring was so minor, I opted to go down the route of using a final finishing polish, so as not to remove much clearcoat, leaving plenty left for future work should the car require it at a later date.. Having done quite a few BMW's with great success in the past with the following combo, I was confident in chosing 3M Ultrafina and a Gloss-it Polishing pad to remove the marring and minor scratches, using a combination of the Kestrel rotary for the larger panels and DAS6-Pro with a Lake Country polishing spot pad for the intricate areas:

As you can see, the correctional level was high, despite using a light pad/polish combo. This is why it is always best practice to start off with the least aggressive combination to get the job done.

Removing one of the light scratches I found, with the same combo..

I also restored the piano black window trims..

Gave the rear pipe a polish too..

I performed an IPA wipedown after polishing every panel, and then a final IPA wipedown at the end to ensure I removed any residue I’d missed and leave the paint free from any fingerprints, ready for some protection.

With the colour being a light grey, I thought a sealant would look better, so I then applied a very fine layer of Zaino Z2 via a cotton cloth to the entire car, and removed using some shag pile microfibers, to leave the finished result:

The very last thing left to do, was give the engine bay some attention. The engine was in decent order, having only covered low miles:

I cleaned the plastics with Megs APC, and then dressed using 303 Aerospace Protectant, to leave this finish:

All glass was treated with G|Techniq G3. Arches were cleaned with a degreaser, dried and protected. Exterior plastics dressed with Natural Look, tyres with Bold n Bright.

Perfect for finishing the vehicle off, restoring the car back to showroom condition.

Thanks for reading and as always, all comments or questions are welcome.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Brummy bummer
    Fantastic results as ever. I do love Aerospace 303! Just a question, what do you use to apply your PB's Wheel Sealant as it seems to go on a lot nicer than when I do it with a microfibre cloth?

Nice one Matt.

Debo you c0ck. Either

a) Get a Job
    b) Grow a pair
    c) Get a wife
    d) Get a life

You choose. But please stop getting excited about wiping the dirt off a car.

Cheers Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterAuron View Post
    Fantastic results as ever. I do love Aerospace 303! Just a question, what do you use to apply your PB's Wheel Sealant as it seems to go on a lot nicer than when I do it with a microfibre cloth?
    Smells nice that stuff doesn't it? Took my wheels off when I got the Abarth, and gave them 2 coats. I used the Iron-X on them (like on this detail) about 3 weeks ago and nothing happened, the sealant has prevented iron particles from the brakes from penetrating the alloy. I was pleased with that result.

I apply it with a foam applicator pad mate

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post
    Debo you c0ck. Either

a) Get a Job
    b) Grow a pair
    c) Get a wife
    d) Get a life

You choose. But please stop getting excited about wiping the dirt off a car.
    Got 2 of a, 2 of b, as good as 1 of c, and definately got 1 of d. Full house for me pal

Nothing exciting here, surely when buying these nice cars you keep buying, you want to keep them looking clean? That's all this is about. Plenty of people like their cars looking mint

Punto Lover
    Nice job deb. The wheels look spanking!

Punto Enthusiast
    fantastic job, takes a lot of labour to go through all of that, keep it up!!

Defeats the object of owning a 4x4, surely they are meant to be dirty

I do enjoy how Debo is an expert overnight at whatever he's doing...tuning...cleaning...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast