Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'SuperMoon'

Punto know it all

Wink 'SuperMoon'

Keep your fingers crossed for clear skies tomorrow night - a full moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset.
    The natural phenomenon happens when the full Moon coincides with when it travels closest to Earth on its orbit.
    Full Moons vary in size because of the elliptical (or oval) shape of the Moon's orbit. At its furthest point (the apogee) it is around 252,731miles away from us, but it is only around 226,426miles at its closest point (the perigee).
    So nearby perigee moons, like the one we will see tomorrow night, is around 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the moon's orbit.
    However, it will be difficult to detect the change once the moon is high in the sky as the human eye is unble to put it in context without any nearby objects to compare it to.
    Therefore the most impressive view of the moon will be seen when it is close to the horizon due to the 'moon illusion'. It appears larger as you will automatically compare it to the hills and houses nearby.

if anyone has got a good camera or telescope lets have some good pictures please
    well worth a look as it only comes around every 18yrs

I am anticipating taking some photograps, i noticed tonight it looks quite large!

Punto know it all
    look forward to seeing yr pictures dan ,

Welsh Events Organiser
    Didn't notice the size, but it wasa lot brighter than usual.

You just know you didn't write that first post as it was in normal english

James
    ps My life thrushed b4 my eyz asa peace a papa skimmed my hood.

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post
    Copy and paste job?

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hans View Post

James
    ps My life thrushed b4 my eyz asa peace a papa skimmed my hood.
    well spotted james lol
    i posted it for people to be aware no harm in that,

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by B3NZARMY View Post
    Keep your fingers crossed for clear skies tomorrow night - a full moon of rare size and beauty will rise in the east at sunset.
    The natural phenomenon happens when the full Moon coincides with when it travels closest to Earth on its orbit.
    Full Moons vary in size because of the elliptical (or oval) shape of the Moon's orbit. At its furthest point (the apogee) it is around 252,731miles away from us, but it is only around 226,426miles at its closest point (the perigee).
    So nearby perigee moons, like the one we will see tomorrow night, is around 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the moon's orbit.
    However, it will be difficult to detect the change once the moon is high in the sky as the human eye is unble to put it in context without any nearby objects to compare it to.
    Therefore the most impressive view of the moon will be seen when it is close to the horizon due to the 'moon illusion'. It appears larger as you will automatically compare it to the hills and houses nearby.

if anyone has got a good camera or telescope lets have some good pictures please
    well worth a look as it only comes around every 18yrs
    Ill have a bash at this, dunno which will be the best way of shooting it though.... telephoto lens or wide angle lens.... Suppose i'll have enough time to have a shoot with both lenses.

Punto know it all
    looking promising for tonight lads

PSC sex offender no.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Stavros View Post
    Ill have a bash at this, dunno which will be the best way of shooting it though.... telephoto lens or wide angle lens.... Suppose i'll have enough time to have a shoot with both lenses.
    Wide angle may make it look a bit swarfed against the rest of the sky.
    Telephoto to a point...depends how much detail you want.

You'll need to play about a bit with exposure manually as the camera is likely to get confused with the bright moon and dark sky...it may try to over expose to brighten the sky on under expose to darken the moon.
    Bear in mind also that if you are shooting directly at the moon you'll want a fast shutter as it'll be bright as smeg.

Ideally the correct way is to shoot with a telescope and a shedload of special filters that are only bought by real hardcore astro-photographers...no bugger i know

On and on a side note if you are in a city/near civilisation there is likely to be a lot of background light to cause aggro....so if you can get out to somewhere remote and dark then do that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast