Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got any specific requests re: car care?

Brummy bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Kyle, it must be new, didn't think the lads did Britemax stuff. I got mine ages ago from I4D as part of a group buy its good stuff, I use it for all my tailpipe work. Was down there today, picked myself up a pair of MJ's, will show you what I mean later in the week, you'll laugh think "michael jackson"..
    Ta I have ordered some Pair of MJ's? Lol sounds intriguing??

Punto know it all
    There isn't much depth to the hood material really and dirt between the grooves isn't a major problem, if at all. The tar like deposits literally look like someone flicked them all over the roof with a paint brush, those will be my main concern in the sense that I don't want to use a product that'll dsicolour the marron finish. Serplus' wax acclaim shampoo has no affect on these no matter how hot or diluted, even when applied with a nail brush
    Cheers for now anyway, at least I have the name of a finish protector for when I get to that stage.

Thread resurrection

This is still open, so if anyone has any questions, myself or any of the others who do a bit should hopefully be able to help you out!! Summer's here now (apparently).

Punto Lover
    I have bought a Red GT and the roof, boot and bonnet could do with a bit of a restore.

What would you recommend Matt to sort my faded paintwork out?

If the damage is in the clearcoat a single stage machine polish will sort it out mate. Flat red is a PITA for fading, and it really depends whether it's the colour coat or the clearcoat where the fading (damage) has occured, and you wont know until you try polishing it. T-Cut is very abrasive, you could have a quick go yourself in an inconspicuous area to find out whether it can be salvaged or not.

Having never had a go at a red Punto I couldn't say whether the paint was single or two stage, so that's the best advice I can give you really.

Punto Lover
    After I get my gearbox sorted I may take a trip to you, I have family in Manchester, finally I have an excuse to go and visit.

Sound mate, no problems. Don't forget that we have the GPM Punto to show off to anyone wanting to see it also

Punto Lover
    I have another one for you Matt.

My dad has a 2003 Ford Transit in White. Last time it was cleaned I don't really know. I've had a look at the roof and the roof seems to be a brighter white than the rest of the paintwork.

I got a sponge and wiped the sliding door and I was correct. What's the best way to restore white on a transit?

Same as above mate, polish.

A polish contains abrasives whose purpose is to clean the paintwork by removing small layers of damaged paintwork to reveal undamaged layers underneath. The oxidation or fading of colours, specifically in single stage paint only effects the upper 10% of the paint - so to get rid of it you need to remove the oxidised layers. Its the same with 2 stage paint, only you need to hope it is the clear coat that's discoloured not the colour coat.. If its the latter then you're screwed, because you can't physically get to it as the clear is in the way.

Matt.

Banned
    hey debo, have signed up on dw and been gathering some hints and tips. Just a quick question, i bought adi's broom yellow shell and by far, the paint has seen better days. The rear quarter panels and boot, part of the roof saying that, have faded quite badly. Im looking into getting a da polisher and few other bits, but am after some help from someone who knows what they're on about. I can get some pictures, but wont be for a few days
    thanks in advance
    Ben

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast