Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got any specific requests re: car care?

lol

It can get quite addictive once you get into it. I'm going to give mine a decent clean this weekend, as I only did the exterior a few weeks back, the interior is filthy! As much as I do it for money etc, I do actually enjoy doing it, I find it theraputic, plus it gets me away from her indoors and doing household type jobs (washing, cleaning etc). I leave all that to her!

PSC Pisshead
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    lol

It can get quite addictive once you get into it. I'm going to give mine a decent clean this weekend, as I only did the exterior a few weeks back, the interior is filthy! As much as I do it for money etc, I do actually enjoy doing it, I find it theraputic, plus it gets me away from her indoors and doing household type jobs (washing, cleaning etc). I leave all that to her!
    Yeah my shopping cart for today is at £146

So ive now spent £250 in 24 hours on cleaning products

Punto Sports Club Member dru1989's Avatar
    as im thinking about vinyl wrapping my car, what would be the proper way to wash it? or is it the same method as a painted car.

As long as it's not a "Matt" wrap it's just the same techniques and products. Go easy with the tar and glue though, especially around panel joins, for obvious reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMike View Post
    Yeah my shopping cart for today is at £146

So ive now spent £250 in 24 hours on cleaning products
    Don't worry mate, I bought a 2nd machine polisher the other month so that I can get jobs done quicker if my dad helps.. or I just use the 2 machines for different tasks so I don't have to faff about changing the pads! Other than that though, it's just routine products I buy these days (like Wheel Cleaner etc). Good spend though, £250 isn't to be sniffed at! Have you bought anything interior related yet?

Matt.

Punto Lover
    Matt, my new alfa is very swirly and could do with a detail of some sort. Could you PM me some prices please?

Punto Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Hi Mark. You won't be disappointed with the service you receive from Shinearama, they are good lads, very well organised and have lots of stock. In answer to your question, before the snow foam you'd rinse the car down, and then apply it... The idea behind the snow foam, is to suspend as much loose dirt as possible, so that when you come to wash the car, you are actually washing relatively clean paintwork so as not to inflict damage. Its the wash phase that causes the damage.

So, after you've snow foamed, rinse it off, and then wash it - using the 2 bucket method, and a lambs wool wash mitt.
    Thanks for this Matt. It arrived today- hoping to get it washed for the first time tomorrow. (weather dependant!!)

Punto Enthusiast
    If you don't mind me adding something here, as i do detailling, although i accept everyone does do it differently.

With regards to snowfoam, its normally best applied straight to the vehicle (dry), without rinsing first.

The reason being, that snowfoam is intended as a means to remove dirt from the paint surface, by lifting it, and running off with the foam, hence minimising contact with the paint.

High pressure rinsing prior to foam, induces swirls, as the dirt is forced in to, and across the paint.

If you feel your car is so dirty, that you see it neccesary to rinse before applying foam, don't. Snowfoam as normal, and if you are not happy with the result, apply again, or adjust your mixing ratio to suit.

Just my input, hope you dont mind matt.

Brummy bummer
    Tbh Mike I read that too (although I'm far from an expert) so I always apply my snow foam to a dry car also.

Punto Enthusiast
    Its just opinion though, like many things

Another quick tip with Bilberry/Redberry wheel cleaner, is to spray on the wheels, then foam all the car and wheels.

This means the foam works with the wheel cleaner, meaning once you rinse, most dirt should be gone. Then re-apply to the wheels, and work in with wheel/detailing brushes.

Although some may see that as a double application of wheel cleaner, it has benefits. It allows you to clean the wheels, without excessive dirt running of, which can leave dirt trails, and keeps your brushes cleaner when working the cleaner in. Simply, it makes the task easier, cleaner, and quicker!

I don't mind at all, no. I've always done a pre-rinse first to remove the real heavy dirt, and then snow foamed. What you're saying makes perfect sense though, as the idea is you remove as much of the dirt as possible before washing so as not to inflict damage when actually washing. Not all the dirt is removed during foaming though, so even when you rinse the foam off, you're still faced with the same scenario?!

My take on it is that the dirt being trapped between the sponge/mitt and the paintwork, then being dragged back and fourth is what causes the damage. When you rinse the car down, you're not actually trapping the dirt, you're just rinsing the loose stuff off.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of doing it tbh, as both methods we've mentioned make sense.

Silent-thunder, YHPM.

Hoping to see lots of activity in this part of the forum over the weekend then

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast