Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got any specific requests re: car care?

PSC Pisshead
    I am crap and cleaning cars!
    I never do mine but I really want to keep my BMW looking nice.

Can you recommend a good shampoo and wax/shine in one? Something I can wash using a bucket and sponge and then just power wash off leaving a nice shine...

Tesco value bubbles are not so goood

Punto Enthusiast
    Debo...
    Just bought a new car and wanna keep the paint in condition! Soo...

Ive just bought a snow foam gun from 'Shinerama' (after you reccomended them in another thread) and a few other bits and pieces.

Just wondering if you bother to use a bucket and mitt after youve snow foamed? Is it necessary?

Cheers! Mark.

PSC Pisshead
    To add to my post mate could you recommend say £50 worth of good washing material which would help me out.
    shampoo/snow that people go on about etc...
    I actually know nothing

Quote Originally Posted by msdavenport91 View Post
    Debo...
    Just bought a new car and wanna keep the paint in condition! Soo...

Ive just bought a snow foam gun from 'Shinerama' (after you reccomended them in another thread) and a few other bits and pieces.

Just wondering if you bother to use a bucket and mitt after youve snow foamed? Is it necessary?

Cheers! Mark.
    Hi Mark. You won't be disappointed with the service you receive from Shinearama, they are good lads, very well organised and have lots of stock. In answer to your question, before the snow foam you'd rinse the car down, and then apply it... The idea behind the snow foam, is to suspend as much loose dirt as possible, so that when you come to wash the car, you are actually washing relatively clean paintwork so as not to inflict damage. Its the wash phase that causes the damage.

So, after you've snow foamed, rinse it off, and then wash it - using the 2 bucket method, and a lambs wool wash mitt.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMike View Post
    To add to my post mate could you recommend say £50 worth of good washing material which would help me out.
    shampoo/snow that people go on about etc...
    I actually know nothing
    Mike,

To keep close to your budget, I wouldn't bother with the snow foam, as a lance and some foam will take you over without buying anything else. So, with that in mind, and taking into account your request for a wash n wax shampoo, I'd look for the following:

www.shinearama.co.uk

* 2x15ltr buckets from B&Q or similar, preferably clear ones.
    * Lambswool/sheepskin washmitt (look for a Eurow one) £8
    * Insta Finish Maxi-Suds shampoo £16
    * Waffle weave drying towel £10
    * 1ltr Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner £10
    * Bottle and a spray head (for the wheel cleaner, needs diluting) £3
    * EZ Detail small wheel brush £13

£60 there, plus the buckets. Wouldn't bother with detailing buckets, as they are £10-15 a go, which for a bucket is pretty ridiculous. I got my two from a decorator merchants and they cost me about £6 for 2!

Slightly more than you wanted to spend, but a good setup that would last you a good 12 months if you're washing your car every 2-3 weeks. The shampoo is a 5ltr, and you dilute the wheel cleaner anything from 4:1 (waterroduct) to 10:1.

The wax included in the shampoo isn't enough to fully protect your car, its designed to help prevent the wax on your car being broken down through washing, by replacing what the wash itself removes. So you would still need to purchase some protection, and I'm not talking about Durex! My personal choice, for a good price (~£30) would be Autoglym HD wax. It combines overall looks with longevity - I have had 6mths out of a single application.

Hope this helps mate?!

I've decided to put together a bit of a guide as to what to look for as a starter kit. I've not gone too mad with it, just what I would deem required for a beginner. This will only cater for the exterior - if anyone wants any interior advice, I can always put together a list for that aswell

I'll also briefly explain how to use each product..

Shampoo £6:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....AL-CONCSHAM-1L
    dilute as per the instructions, one capful per bucket as a guide.

Wheel Cleaner £10:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....=VAL-BILBWC-1L
    dilute in the bottle listed below, at the required strength (6:1 would be fine, waterroduct)

Spray Bottle £1.50:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=SHI-SPRAYBTL

Chemical Resistant Spray Head £2:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....MEG-SPRAYER-CR

Sheepskin Washmitt £7.50:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=EUR-FH1135

Tar & Glue Remover £7:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....AL-TARGLUE-500
    use with the work towel below

Microfibre Work Towels 3pk £5.50:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=EUR-MTT14-X3
    dab some of the T&G onto the tar and allow to soak in for a few minutes, fold towel over to reveal a clean part, then gently remove the tar

Waffle Weave Drying Towel £10:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product....PBY-TWAFFLE-24
    fold the towel in half, then in half again - then work panel by panel, by gently moving the towel across the surface to soak up the standing water.. unfold towel to reveal a dry part as and when required, may need wringing out occasionally.

Tyre Shine £6:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=AGL-ITD-500
    cut up an old sponge, spray the slick onto the tyre and work in with the sponge.

High Definition Wax kit £30:
    http://www.shinearama.co.uk/product.php?id=AGL-HDW
    I think this is the best value for money wax out there at the moment, and this is a complete kit with sponge applicators (x2) and a buffing cloth to remove the residue. Apply in circular motions as per the instructions, once applied, leave to cure for around 30mins, then fold the red buffing cloth in half and then in half again, carefully remove the dried residue, unfolding the towel to reveal a clean piece after every few panels.

There's no reason why you can't change the wax though, I mean, the HD is a full kit so has everything you need with it including a pot of wax capable of coating 40 cars. You could, if you wanted, choose something like a Dodo Juice panel pot, which is enough to coat your car 2 or 3 times, but you'll need a buffing cloth and sponge applicator.. this lot, including the wax, would probably be £10/11 that's all, so could be an economically viable option as it'd save you £20!!

Total cost = £85.50 with HD or £66 with a small tub of wax.

You'll still need two buckets for all this, so set aside £90/70ish. You're best getting these from somewhere like B&Q, or a builders / decorators merchants, as they are much cheaper. At the end of the day, a bucket is a bucket, no matter how you dress it up!

Matt.

This is why you should use 2 buckets.

I only use the clear buckets when I do my work at the unit, because they provide them for me - I normally just use plain black buckets, as seen in the "wash guide" I wrote.

PSC Pisshead
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    Mike,

To keep close to your budget, I wouldn't bother with the snow foam, as a lance and some foam will take you over without buying anything else. So, with that in mind, and taking into account your request for a wash n wax shampoo, I'd look for the following:

www.shinearama.co.uk

* 2x15ltr buckets from B&Q or similar, preferably clear ones.
    * Lambswool/sheepskin washmitt (look for a Eurow one) £8
    * Insta Finish Maxi-Suds shampoo £16
    * Waffle weave drying towel £10
    * 1ltr Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner £10
    * Bottle and a spray head (for the wheel cleaner, needs diluting) £3
    * EZ Detail small wheel brush £13

£60 there, plus the buckets. Wouldn't bother with detailing buckets, as they are £10-15 a go, which for a bucket is pretty ridiculous. I got my two from a decorator merchants and they cost me about £6 for 2!

Slightly more than you wanted to spend, but a good setup that would last you a good 12 months if you're washing your car every 2-3 weeks. The shampoo is a 5ltr, and you dilute the wheel cleaner anything from 4:1 (waterroduct) to 10:1.

The wax included in the shampoo isn't enough to fully protect your car, its designed to help prevent the wax on your car being broken down through washing, by replacing what the wash itself removes. So you would still need to purchase some protection, and I'm not talking about Durex! My personal choice, for a good price (~£30) would be Autoglym HD wax. It combines overall looks with longevity - I have had 6mths out of a single application.

Hope this helps mate?!

Thanks, very much so I have placed an order all the above but they dont have the wheel cleaner in stock so went for Stjärnagloss Stark Blue APC

PSC Pisshead
    Valet Pro Concentrated Car Shampoo (1L) 5.95 5.95
    Shinearama Empty Spray Bottle - No Label (single) 1.49 1.49
    Meguiar's Chemical-Resistant Spray Head (single) 1.99 1.99
    Eurow Sheepskin Wash Mitt with Thumb (single) 7.49 7.49
    Valet Pro Citrus Tar & Glue Remover (500ml) 6.95 6.95
    Eurow All-Purpose Microfibre Towel 3-Pack (3x 14x14 inches) 5.49 5.49
    Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing (500ml) 5.95 5.95
    Autoglym High Definition Wax (150g kit) 29.99 29.99

What wheel cleaner shoudl I add as the one you stated is out of stock ?

Nice one Mike. I have used the Stjärnagloss APC, it's very good! You can dilute it down as per the Bilberry. I had to tackle some bad wheels on a BMW last month and used it neat, works well.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast