Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got any specific requests re: car care?

Anyone got any specific requests re: car care?

As the title really. The weather is starting to look a bit more promising now we're in the spring, so does anyone have any specifics I haven't covered so far in this section of the forum?

If anyone else wants to have a crack at doing something or showing what you've done, feel free to add to the forum or to this thread!

Happy cleaning

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    My car has sat in the same spot for nearly year and half, through all seasons. Best way to clean it Debbie

Nice picture dude! I wish my assistant was that glamourous, instead of the big oaf he is

Todd, in reply to your question - read on.

I'd start with a good through rinse with a pressure washer, which will remove alot of the large amounts of dirt, and allow you to assess the situation a little more clearly. You'll find around the window rubbers and in the panel gaps there'll most likely be a build up of dirt and moss etc. From this point, I'd look at snow foaming the entire car, and then agitate all the panel gaps, window rubbers, badges etc with some soft tipped brushes - as I said to Mawb in another thread, you may need to up the ante and give the window rubbers some attention with a stiffer bristled brush!

Give it another good rinse to remove the snow foam, and any loose dirt that's picked up - then follow the safe wash guide I wrote here: http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/...d.php?t=116008

That'll then give you a clean car. With summer approaching, you then want to think about what protection you fancy using. Before applying anything though, once the car's washed, for the £15 a Megs Quik Detailer Clay Kit costs, it's worth investing in one of these and fully decontaminating your car prior to the protection stage, as this will remove any bonded contaminants which don't come off when you wash because they're in the pores of the paint. You'd be surprised at what comes out of the paint given you'd effectively already washed the car twice over!! It makes a huge difference to the appearance too.

From claying you'll need to rinse it down again as the car will be full of lube (so to speak). Then get it dried. From here add whatever protection you deem fit. I prefer wax on dark cars and sealant on lighter cars, but there's no reason why you can't do it the opposite way around, as my preference is subjective

Sealant of choice for me at the moment is the Zaino Z2, which I used on the GPM Punto, it's also fantastically priced. This will last 5-6months.
    Wax of choice, for the price point, would be Autoglym HD Wax. There are much better waxes out there, but as I'm sure you've heard, you can spend £££'s on the stuff! Durability wise, the HD lasts ~6months.

It still makes me chuckle how the tuning god becomes the god of polishing...

A polish a day, keeps the cheese away

Debo has always had a strong wrist from the tender age of 9

Well, I am a man of many talents.

You should look after the Porsche James, or at least look at getting it treated at some point, it'll be worth more come resale time. You'd be surprised how much more too. If I can add £800's worth of value to a £2k Jazz, what would that be on a car worth £20k+

My car is dry stored with no milage. Its perfect

Punto Lover
    when you drive it for the first time, can you let me know what its drives like. cheers

Brummy bummer
    Boxster S wasn't it Hans? Make sure you get some pics up! (Sorry for the off-topic!)

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast