Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crank pulley wont budge

Punto know it all

Question crank pulley wont budge

after my belt snapping ive removed the outer cam cover and withdrawn the belt
    and got to the point of removing the crank pulley nut but this wont come loose ive tried to put foot on the brake and in-gear at the same time to release the crank nut but no joy i don't have a impact gun and the pulley don't seem to have any locking devise, i honestly cant remove it fills like something is gona snap

also ive set the cam to the correct point well i hope so, with the cover spy hole do i time it too the plastic erected dot with the spy hole slid up or slid down
    anyone have any ideas as im stuck now due to the inner cover just cant fit the belt round due to the small gap

Punto Lover
    if you undo the crank sensor and pull it out a bit, you should get the belt on, if thats the small gap your on about.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    have you had the head off.

Punto know it all
    yer ive done the crank sensor removed that but its the gap behind the big crank pulley its not wide enough to squeeze the belt in i need the big pulley removed

ive not had the head off as ive timed the cams hope fully Wright and the crank spins a full cycle rotations ive spin it round about 4 times to be sure it cleared the valves no interference at all and i can fill the compression in all cylinders too does the gt not have valve safe head

Quote Originally Posted by alexgt View Post
    if you undo the crank sensor and pull it out a bit, you should get the belt on, if thats the small gap your on about.
    Bodgers way.

You need to 'lock' the crank by 'locking' the flywheel.

On the top of the bell housing underneith the thermostat there is a little plastic cover, pull it out and you will see the flywheel and clutch below, using a robust rachet extension or similar lock the flywheel against the bell housing in the direction your wanting to turn the nut.

Then you should be able to crack the nut off. It'll be on tight, i always used a 2ft bar.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    no the gt is not a fire engine. the valves could be damaged. personally i would consider having a look inside first. before getting it going again

No need the alternator belt off to do the job properly so take the nut off, clean up the thread and any rust and time the engine up, then refit the alteranator pulley and refit nut, 150NM is the correct torque setting.

Punto Lover
    gt1 is safe, not gt3, put it i gear, put a screw driver in the vented bit of the disc throug the caliper, should lock it up.

You wont of escaped without any bent valves, as Mawb has said..

Punto know it all
    ouch i really had hope that i never bent a valve or two due to the speed i was going surpose bottoms fine but when the cams spin then ill know weather its fffd

dan that thread about the belt fitment you gave me today that cam pulley spy hole do i time with it up or down yr pic shows up ,also can this be 180 degrees out at all if i line it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast