Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PuntRott!

PuntRott!

OK so the 16VT is 99% finished, I had my pal come over to check it out, he's an MOT tester, to check it out so I knew it would pass when I did take it.

What was a clean car 18 months ago when I bought it now seems to be rotten! needs welding along the sills, and the inner rear arches!

I'm in a predicament, the car is now finished, took it along the road quickly yesterday and it seems to drive alright, but I really don't want a car that is rotting away!! Shame it's taken this long for me to notice it!

What to do?!?! I really don't fancy breaking it and I wouldn't be comfortable selling it to someone knowing it's rotten and been bodged up to get it through it's test!!

Punto know it all
    Reshell it fella you know that's the only option

Is it repairable rot?? What's the economies of scale like for fixing it?

Quote Originally Posted by cragterharris View Post
    Reshell it fella you know that's the only option
    People say that like it's a 10min chore, and a fun one at that. But it isn't....

Reshell is an option, but it would almost be like starting the whole thing all over again.

Needs work on jacking points, near seat belt anchor points and around seat mounting bolts, on both sides. Inner arches isn't a test fail but summit that I couldn't leave. Next years test will probably be the same, just in a different place.

I think I know what I'm going to have to do with it.

Punto Lover
    depending on how bad the rot is and how much welding work needs doing is where your answer is. i had my rear arches welded up on my last one, cost £30 and job was a good un'. but it its not worth welding up i would be looking to re-shell. as i expect all the hard work and that it is 99% finished would be just going to waste if you was to break or sell it

Punto know it all
    I know its not fun or easy but for the feeling you get when you have done it knowing everything is right and perfect is a lot bigger swell as the smile you get when you start it up again

Brummy bummer
    Time to grab a mig torch and learn to weld perhaps? Only a day or twos welding there by the sound of it. Depends on the extent and what the rest of the cars like...reshelling is a huge pain and youll struggle to find a shell that isnt rotten tbh. You cant break it or sell it when youve come so far!

The more I think about it the more I think I want to break it. Alot of work has gone into it yes, but if I get hung up on that I will have it forever!
    Like I said before, I don't want a car thats been bodged up. I bought this one because it was clean and didnt need welding.
    Guess sitting around for 18 months has taken its tole.

Anyone want some 16VT conversion gear?

Punto Lover
    how much?

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast