Thread: Where would £1000 of your money go?

Punto know it all

Where would £1000 of your money go?

Right i have put a thread like this up before. Im in a bit of a mess at the mo as the punto is still off the road and last week the clio sucked water up and bent a conrod (i think) so that is off the road for a while.

In the mean time i am looking for a new run about but so indecisive im looking for some opions/advise lol.

Im not looking for something thats going to blow my mind but trying to avoid something too mundane so it will keep me happy for a while as when the clio is fixed she is up for sale.

Insurance is ok for most cars now. It must have at least 6 months MOT and tax untill the end of this month minimum so no pissing about. I want something more luxury and comfortable for daily driving and trips up to my father (200 miles).

I have been looking at vectras again as i have had two and loved them. Seen a 2.6 V6 and 2.2 16v (sri 150) im going to look at.

Where im stuck is do i just get a cheap £4-500 run about and save for something better (really fancy an old 7 series) or do i just get something i like now and save for a bit longer.

Sorry for the long post, i tried to keep it short.

Punto Lover
    156 v6 all day long over a vectra...

Punto know it all
    i would rather have any 156 over a vectra u can get a nice 156 for a grand these days

Punto know it all
    you'd probably pick up a 2000 turbo mpreza for a grand if it didnt have to look too pretty

Punto know it all
    and by mpreza I meant to say Impreza

Punto Lover
    Why a vectra?

If your only after a run about till the clio is fixed why don't you just buy a little mirca or something and run that to the ground till the clio is fixed.

It'll never break and will be cheap to run.

PSC sex offender no.1
    Quote Originally Posted by SirAdam View Post
    Why a vectra?

If your only after a run about till the clio is fixed why don't you just buy a little mirca or something and run that to the ground till the clio is fixed.
    Vectra's are pretty reliable...and from waht I've seen of micra they aren't too roomy.
    I'd go with a vectra myself.

Punto know it all
    mate. depends if this really is a run about i mean is it short term becuase why spend a grand if it is? i went with my neighbour last week and he bought a decent S reg 1999 Rover 214 bubble in immac nightfire red with 11 months MOT, 1 months tax and half a tank of gas and the head gasket recently renewed! for....£350 and the guy threw in a nice Sony head unit! cheap insurance, cheap tax, good on fuel and sprightly poke from the 16 valver. he is well chuffed and as a daily run about its so far proven reliable. His budget was £550 so he pocketed the difference.

i'm telling you now there are some real cheap motoring bargains out there right now.
    im not a rover fan but coincidentally i saw another one a 200Vi go for £350.00 the other day taxed and tested. not saying youve got to get a performance car but certainly the choice of well looked after yet remarkably cheap motors is staggering.

i also spotted a nice R reg 98 Ford Puma 1.4 go for £550.00 with tax and test.

and with fuel now getting nearer to £6 a gallon you could save a bomb avoiding thirsty big engines and V6s etc. oh and if you buy an impreza for a grand i hope youve got 5 in reserve for when it finally goes bang. one for a grand would just be a money pit and drink like its going out of fashion.