Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable, Wifi & Wifi Boosters..

Punto know it all

Cable, Wifi & Wifi Boosters..

Ok first up, whats the 'normal' upload speed for cable services? Our download is cracking but upload is only 1.5mb :/

Secondly, the router we have is the 'Super Hub blah blah' N series that virgin provide. Over wifi with an n-series adaptor and a distance of about 2 metres we can't quite crack 30mb, but with a cable it hits 45 easily. Should the router be able to support +30?

And finally ... in my room the signal is less than desireable. 3/5 bars which equates to 6mb speeds. Not what I want when I'm paying for 50! So I was thinking about slotting a signal booster in somewhere between? Do they work, and any reccomendations?

Cheerse!

Punto know it all
    i know for a fact that the vodaphone booster boxes for mobile phone signal reduces wireless speed to about 1/4 of what it should be after spending hours trying to find why my mums internet was so slow.

probably doesnt help you unless you have one of these installed nearby.

just thought i would mention it.

Welsh Events Organiser
    50mb virgin only has a 1.5mb upload speed anyway
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/tra...nt-policy.html

as for the router, it depends on a few things. Are you testing this with just one device connected, how much/what upload speed are you seeing at the same time as the donwloading?
    Last edited by PuntoGt031087; 14th January 2011 at 15:47.

Punto know it all
    Ahh I see, that explains that then haha!

No other devices were connected, and it was getting 1.5mb upload!

Welsh Events Organiser
    i cant remember how to work it out off the top of my head, but the amount of upload and the distance severely affect data transfer speeds

Punto Enthusiast
    Youuuu are reaaly lucky to have 1.5mb upload to be honest. average upload speed is about half of what you get. Its not a signal booster that you need but upgrade your router with a better one. argos sells one for about £30 (Acer) . Why would you need a download speed of 30MB/S ? Even if you were paying for 100MB/s this will stil be useless. most servers are limited download. maybe max 3mb per sec. no matter where you download from torrents,peer to peer or website.

Punto know it all
    Apparently our upload is getting upgraded to 5mb soon anyway, nice one!

Well at the moment our router is the virgin one and its got the built in modem too. Another router would mean we need to buy a new modem as well. I'd also suspect the router we have is worth more than £30? £30 seems cheap for an N!

Because I pay for 50mb, my line can kick out nearly 50mb so I want it. I never download p2p it's shite (and a no no on virgin), always http. I can certainly get more than 3mb/s

Punto know it all
    The other option I have is to either;

Run a 30 / 50m (not sure) lan cable - will a cable that long drop any quality?

or

Run a 10m USB extension cable to put the dongle to an excellent signal ... same question?

Welsh Events Organiser
    surely that defeats the point of wireless if you do either of the 2 options above?

are you sure its not the wireless receiver in the laptop thats strangling the speed?

Banned
    I speak with experience with networking.

You will never ever ever get the same performance with a wireless network than if you were using wired, however this is also misleading as wired ethernet should only go up to 100m due to resistance within the copper wire reduces the amount of packets recieved and therefore your pc will have to send an imcp message back to the server to resend lost packets (you what? yes its boring i know)

You will get signal loss depending how much electronic interference is surrounding you, the density of the walls and range, a typical wireless router/ap will have approx 80m range. Therefore with low signal the effects are the same with longer ethernet cable therefore you will see reduced download/upload speeds and remember its not megabytes its measured in its megabits!!!

Anyway wifi boosters need to be wired to a switch/router. Depending on how much you want to spend i reccomend Cisco small business AP configured correctly allows you to extend the range of your network and will allow you to keep the same ssid rather than having two but tbh it will never be perfect. Also type n routers are misleading they dont really increase range they use the same frequency and technology it only boasts about how much data it can send and rec per sec which is 108megabits. Check your wireless card isnt a type G card, if it is then the max you will be able to send/rec is 54mbits and thats got to be close enough to the router to achieve this.

sorry i rambled on to much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast