Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP: GP Motorsport Punto. Full Wet Sand.

Fred Elliot, i say Fred Elliot! Mawbster's Avatar
    presumable you do this as a job now matt? what would be the cost of doing a full car to this level.

I do, but still part time. I have a few jobs booked in for this year, but have already had to re-schedule some due to unforseen circumstances (on the customers part). I have now got access to a proper detailing studio that I can rent on a job by job basis, which is handy, and it's only around the corner to me.

To do a car this small, from top to bottom, I'd estimate at over 30hrs work on the exterior alone. It took me 3 hours just to do that upper part of the door!! Price wise, you're looking at anything from £750-£900. I do a 2 stage machine polishing process alone though, with no wet sanding, for that you're looking at around £450ish, which on a Punto would represent better value for money - unless it was a show car. That would remove all swirls / spider webs and about 90% of all other marks. The wet sanding eliminates the last 10%, then obviously you can go further again and flatten the orange peel to get a mirror finish.

Punto Lover
    think i need to change career!!

I'm starting from the ground up, and like I said I have already had 2 customers (which was infact 3 full details) been delayed and another customer who has let me down on consecutive weekends (scratch removal). These were jobs I had taken bookings for in December. It left me with no jobs on at all for this year, but since last week I have picked up a couple of jobs to do over the next few weeks, but none are full details so don't really replace the ones that have been put off. It's all fun and games

Punto Lover
    every1 is tight nowadays, apparently the "credit crunch" hit them hard. my dad the same, mobile mechanic and gets the whole of nothing now from what he use to

Well I have just been unfortunate that everything seems to have happened at once and it's left me with not much on. It's not that they don't have the money, one has a Bentley GT! The one that has cancelled and rearranged for the past two weekends has had her chance now, not being messed about again - she's a timewaster.. seems to be alot of it about nowadays, I'm sure your dad will agree!

I'm going to spend more time on this car at weekend anyway, see if I can get the front wing and rear quarter panel done. I'll get some more pics of the sanded parts aswell, under some better lighting as it was a dull and overcast day when I took those pics.

Punto Lover
    yeah i know he gets a few. agree to have something done then call at last minute and say they cant. most people seem to just do it themselfs now where as your profesion cant really be done yourself by many people! will watch out for the pics then

Punto Lover
    some recomendations please other than a re-paint,for my gt as its like a cameleon (changes colour through thr year)one minute its red then pink,got to be the worst colour!

It looks a little pink on that picture there doesn't it really.

Assuming the fading is the clearcoat oxidising and it's not underneath it (like you get on MR Honda's), then it is easily fixed with a cutting polish. Fiat paint is soft, so it probably wont need anything more than just a light cut. You could probably do it by hand if you have arms like Jay Cutler but the easiest method would be to do it by machine, as that would make short work of it by comparison (but still a solid 14/15hrs to do the whole car). If you think that seems a lot, bear in mind that the door I have shown you in this thread took me 3 hours just to do the upper part of it on this particular job

I could do it for you mate. PM me if you're interested.

Punto Lover
    that's not pink......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast