Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddGT View Post
    Jap is the way forward and not fwd. Rwd or awd ftw

Give that man a cookie!

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by cpunto View Post
    *Cough Cough*
    i agree!

I quite like classic 930 Porsches. Seen a few driving around. Look very classic now. How about one of those?

Top of the page Classic - going up in value.

http://www.eporsch.co.uk/0101for_sale.htm

Coupe is always an option to upgrade, it's an ugly brute though, I'd much rather a GTV V6. When I still had the Mint Tom sent me a link for a beautiful Cup, 1 of 500... Proper nice for only a few grand.

No one here is worried about fancy diffs or transfer boxes though, they're built properly first time round

Punto know it all
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    Hi Mags, just been reading through this interesting post. lots of suggestions and biased opinions which youd expect anyway but are you wanting to move away from Fiat? Nobody has mentioned a Coupe and youve a choice of 4 set ups at absolutely bar-gane prices and i think they were made up until about year 2000 W plate so newer than the GTs.
    Leighton has probably tuned the turbos to 300-400bhp + and because they arent particularly new they can be highly tuned, properly maintained and run for a fraction of the cost of some of the other motors that have been mentioned.
    you havent stated that 4wd and all that fandangle is a prerequisite nor the family oriented 4 door saloon so ive assumed 2 wheel drive and a coupe body is ok for your needs.
    you can probably pick up a very decent coupe 20v turbo these days for £2,000-£2500. less will get you into one but it wont be the best maintained etc. best colours the titanium greys and the sprint blues.
    you dont see a nice fiat coupe much these days (cue the rusted away jokes) so youre getting a bit exclusivity. maybe you dont like the styling which is not to everyones taste but you cant argue about the performance even in standard form. 6 seconds to 62mph and 155 top speed. plus you get a LSD too on the turbos. even the 16v turbo was good for almost 200bhp standard. very tunable too. no fancy or expensive centre diffs or transfer boxes to worry about blowing up every time you go for it off the lights.
    someone suggested the starlet (aka the glanza?) ive heard these are very tuneable tiny tearaways which sound fun.
    watch out too as a few turbo cars went from 2.0 to 2.5 litre in later life and this might be reflected in the insurance groupings.
    so has the coupe shown up on your radar yet ?
    had any more thoughts on what youd like?
    oh and if you own a flat cap then think about these flyers; Volvo T4 and a Saab Aero!! Old and cheap.....and fast
    To put it bluntly, i think the coupe is as ugly as sin Thanks for the suggestions though! Definitely want to go jap, whatever i get.

Punto Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    To put it bluntly, i think the coupe is as ugly as sin Thanks for the suggestions though! Definitely want to go jap, whatever i get.
    Fook it get a Honda NSX lol.

Considered a mk1 Clio f4r or Pug 205 with a xsara vts engine. (yes i like french cars lol)

Punto know it all
    I don't see the obsession with Jap - it's cheap as chips for the performance, but they are not exactly stylish or soul stiring. I'd rather work harder and get something European and quick - even if I can't go and buy something like that now.

I've always said the impatient boys drive Jap performance
    The successful men drive European performance

I mean a lot of 90's European stuff doesn't look too bad - but the 90's jap stuff looks like it is in the 1970's in this day an age.

The only Jap car i would ever consider owning is probably a Honda NSX - a genuine supercar without the ricer image.

Punto Sports Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrracing View Post
    I don't see the obsession with Jap - it's cheap as chips for the performance, but they are not exactly stylish or soul stiring. I'd rather work harder and get something European and quick - even if I can't go and buy something like that now.

I mean a lot of 90's European stuff doesn't look too bad - but the 90's jap stuff looks like it is in the 1970's in this day an age.

The only Jap car i would ever consider owning is probably a Honda NSX - a genuine supercar without the ricer image.
    Not even the new GTR? Crazy man if not. I would sell the misses for one of those.

Lifeless Geek - need to get out more! Todd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrracing View Post

I beg to differ, rx7's and supra's were well ahead of time in regards to styling, and still don't look out of place next to modern cars today

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast